Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Need Help: Should I Return My Mini ? - 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM

I've tried several ideas I've read about in this forum, but the single biggest improvement I could actually see was to disable the NTFS last access attribute.

Thank you CaptPackrat

I have an 8GB SSD, so I installed a fast SDHC RAM module to bridge the capacity gap until I see a SSD at a price I'm willing to pay to upgrade. So far it has given me all the capacity I need so I may not upgrade the SSD. Using MMC, I formatted it NTFS and I access it as a folder on the SSD. I found it makes it easy to forget it is a separate device.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Need Help: Should I Return My Mini ? - 01-14-2009, 05:21 PM

By the way you get 21 days for returns but even then they are subject to 15% restocking fee unless you go through support and convince them that there is a valid problem with the system and they document said problem into a support case. After 4 hours on the phone with customer service, support, customer service I was unable to return mine. I have now escalated this with our corporate sales rep. Very sad really, I just wanted to return the one I bought for my father since it has issues (can't stay alive for much more than 2 hours with either battery and the keyboard works very poorly) and just going through this nightmare with my father next to me has convinced him that he doesn't EVER want to buy a Dell product
  (#13) Old
Default 02-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Start --> settings --> control panel --> display --> settings --> advanced --> troubleshoot --> set hardware acceleration to none

it worked for me...
  (#14) Old
Default 02-12-2010, 10:01 PM

I think 16gb works fine. When we had xp on ours, it took up about 7gb and now that we have Snow Leopard, it takes about about 7gb.

So, save some money and get the 16gb and get the 2gb of memory. I picked one up last week on a special from New Egg for about $35.

Also, my wife's came with xp, mine came with ubantu, but I snow leopard each. xp was very slow and clunky and crashy. Ubantu was gone off mine within 24 hours, didn't give it much of a look. SL makes all the difference.

As to whether to return it, we think they are the perfect little travel computers, rather than lugging a heavy laptop around. If your on the road expectations are email, web surfing, light word processing, and video skype, you probably won't be disappointed. It is not a heavy duty laptop and it does not appear to be designed to be one.

Good luck with your decision.

« How do I wipe SSD on a Mini 9? | Ubuntu 9.10 - Optimizing Dell Mini 9 with SSD »