Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Exclamation My Mini 9 ate 3 SSDs: A Heartwarming Ghost Story - 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM

A big hello to the Dell Mini Community.
When I got my mini 9, the 8GB stock SSD in it was no good. BIOS sees it, but sees it as a 0MB drive. Unwittingly ended up finding out why that SSD was no good.

I bought a 16GB SuperTalent SSD. Put it in and installed a dual-boot OSX/Win 7. Everything was fine until I was listening to music using OS X, and then it hit sleep mode with the headphone jack plugged in. It usually slept to a hard-reboot just fine under OS X. However with the headphone plug in, it fried the SSD when it kicked into sleep. I didn't know any of this at the time, thought it was the drive and kicked it back DOA. Got SSD #3 for this system. And would you believe, that I got into the same circumstances again, and went inside with music playing and came out to a netbook in sleep with a fried SSD.

My question is:

Is this a documented failure, and if so, is there a way around it?
I already ordered a 16GB SD to use as a HD but I'm sure SSD is faster, I really don't wanna fry another SSD though!!

Thank you.
Carey Atkinson
Fort Collins CO

(#2) Old
Default 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM

I don't know why some people have repeated issues with the SSDs in the Mini 9, but you're hardly alone in this. At least mine has been fine (knock plastic).

Note that you cannot boot from the SD slot in the 9.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

dead harddrive, dead ssd, mini 9, ssd

« Mini-9 Keyboard key standoff replacement | Friend hit sleep, Now won't boot »