Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Freezing at Dell splash screen - 08-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Not trying to double-post (the full story on my problem is on the MyDigitalDiscount forum here), but I'm thinking that it's probably not simply a RunCore issue. There will probably be more people reading the post here, so maybe I can get additional input here (or any input at all - no luck on the other forum yet).

I'm trying to upgrade the SSD in my Dell Mini9. I successfully aligned and formatted the new SSD, but when I replace the old SSD with the new one and turn the computer on, it freezes at the Dell splash screen. The options to "press 2 for setup" and "press 0 for boot order" show up, but selecting either one of them does nothing more than highlight the choices.

The BIOS on the Mini is the original one (v. 04, I believe) - I know there's an updated one available, but my Mini's always worked fine so I've seen no need to update it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on and how I might fix it?

(Windows XP Home - hoping to do a clean install using a USB CD-RW)
  (#2) Old
Default 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Have you tried putting the old SSD back in? Maybe your new SSD is correctly installed; some SSD's were contacting the MB underneath the small screws.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM

My failure for not posting the complete story - I didn't want to blatantly double-post, although in retrospect, this might have been the more appropriate forum in the first place.

Yes, lswartz, as soon as I put the old SSD back in, my Mini works fine again.

So where does that leave me? Is there anything *I* can do if it IS a case of the RunCore touching the MB under the screws? Anything easy, that is - I'm incapable of soldering or doing anything "fancy".

I'd SO looked forward to getting up and running with my new RunCore! :-(

Thanks for the reply!

« Reinstalling Factory supplied OS | Retiring mini 9 »