Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Where did my space go? -- Turn off WinXP hibernation - 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM

My Mini dual boots, most of the time into Ubuntu. But last night I was looking at my Windows partition and saw that there was about half as much space free as I remembered (2gb instead of gb). I couldn't find any big programs (though I did uninstall MS Works), and my documents folder only occupied around 300mb, so where was the space going?

When I set up my Mini, I installed a set of utilities called PCRepairSystem, which you can download free here: It's meant to fit on a 32 mb USB drive, but I just put it on my hard drive. One of the many useful programs it contains is Sequoia, a program that shows, visually, how your hard disk space is allocated.

When I pointed it to my C: drive, it showed a massive 2gb block, all one file: C:/hiberfil.sys. I'd never encountered that on my desktop before, so I Googled it. I found a good explanation here: It's the file that Windows uses to store your system state when it hibernates. The more RAM you have (I recently upgraded from 1gb to 2gb), the larger the file. The way to get rid of it is NOT to delete it -- which Windows makes it hard to do anyway -- but turn off hibernation. When you reboot, you'll have your space back.

David Wilson-Okamura
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Where did my space go? -- Turn off WinXP hibernation - 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM

Yes. There are a fair number of threads here that address hibernation files, page files and the like.

« new options from dell outlet | Screen brightness problem »