Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default SIM card tether? - 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM

I'm going to be purchasing my Dell Mini soon, but I have a question (I'll buy it regardless of the answer!)

I have a data plan on my mobile / cellphone (1GB/month). Is there any way to connect the SIM to the Dell Mini and use the data plan for browsing the internet? I have a HTC Hero and as far as I'm aware there isn't a tethering option built into the phone. Is it even possible to just connect the phone to the Mini via a cable?

I'm planning on installing OSX 10.5 if that makes any difference.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OSX 10.5.6 | 16GB SuperTalent SSD | 1GB RAM | .3MP Cam | Bluetooth | |
  (#2) Old
Default 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

You would need to buy a Mini with a WWAN adapter - this was an option and if the Mini was not ordered with WWAN, the socket for such an adapter was omitted.

Assuming you had a Mini with a functionsl WWAN slot and you bought a GSM-compatible WWAN adapter that fit in a MiniPCIe slot, then theoretically this would work. However, your carrier might notice such :non-phone usage and bill you extra if you do not have a plan that permits such usage. You would also need OS X-compatible software for the card.

A USB WWAN adapter (generically, "aircard") can also work whether or not you have the slot.

Some phones do support tethering, either with a USB cable or over WiFi, but again, your carrier may impose an additional charge for such use. (AT&T certainly does.)

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« wifi driver updates for master mode? | Reinstalling Factory supplied OS »