Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Question Internet connectivity issue - 07-17-2010, 06:39 PM

I gave my sister-in-law my old mini when I bought a new one. I was generally using it as wireless, but she needs it to work wired. My brother put the mini on their network, but it cannot seem to reach he internet. The lights by the LAN Jack on the mini are flashing but the only ping test that works is to localhost. All others return unknown host error. He hooked their desktop system up to the same cords and ports to rule out a bad wire or connection, and that system connects to the Internet no problem. The system is ubuntu, and she Is logging in under a new account. Could there be old settings from my setup that is preventing the mini from connecting on a new network?

Any help is appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM

whats the IP address its set to and what is the router expecting..also are there any passwords that are required that maybe you forgot to put in somewhere?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 07-17-2010, 08:34 PM

Run "ifconfig" (network interface config) in a terminal. Does the "eth0" (onboard wired ethernet) adapter have an IP address?

The netbook should have requested an IP address from the DHCP server on the network. And usually, on a home network, the router will be handling DHCP server duties. Run "sudo dhclient" in a terminal to manually force the Mini to go looking for a DHCP server.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« WWAN confusion | Manually switching SDDs to boot Win7 and OSX? »