Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#41) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to mcm95403
Default Re: How do you use your Mini9? - 03-23-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm writing a book, so I'm using mine to write while I'm on the train to work. My wife uses it on the days she is at dialysis to watch Asian movies that she downloads since you can't buy them here in the US.

If anyone wants to check out the first few chapters, it's on my website: - feedback is appreciated.

I've also been using it to catch up on Sarah Connor Chronicles on
  (#42) Old
Default Re: How do you use your Mini9? - 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM

I'm a mechanical designer with two serious workstation desktops (Shuttles) and one Dell M65 Workstation Laptop. I use the Mini for writing contracts, research for client projects and general portability. I like to get out of my office and work at a coffee shop or lunch place. Carrying the M65 around is a drag. It's a monster of a laptop. Since getting a Mini, I only carry the M65 when I have to utilize my CAD programs or make a presentation to a client.

I also travel internationally a lot. Many times I don’t need to design in CAD while away, but do need to have access to my files for reference (Using a CAD file viewer) and need to be able to write contracts and send them off to clients in PDF form, construct project plans in Excel, create and view presentations in Power Point, track billable hours, post-process images, etc.

The Mini really has made traveling much nicer. No more 20+ pounds hanging off my shoulder while trekking through the airport.

Mini 9 | XP Pro | 2gb RAM | 64gb SSD
  (#43) Old
Default Re: How do you use your Mini9? - 03-23-2009, 10:51 PM

Don't have a Mini 9 yet. Want one. Would like to know if it can operate as a music player on the go? Will it function while all closed up and stuffed into a big pocket? Also, if that is my biggest desire, should I use Ubuntu or XP?
  (#44) Old
Default Re: How do you use your Mini9? - 03-24-2009, 07:21 PM

I wanted portability like my now dead Vaio. Which is why I was turned on to the netbooks. I really only needed my Vaio to watch movies, load my ipod, and webcam and email my family. So this mini has turned out great because it does it all with ease in a nice little package. Only wish the SSD's were a little larger, but I'll get by.
  (#45) Old
Default Re: How do you use your Mini9? - 03-24-2009, 11:00 PM

I mostly browse the web and chat / email on it while vegging on the couch :P But I purchased it to see if I could run one of our digital cutting systems from it, which works GREAT!

I also use it at work to play Pandora. 8-)

« Accessing wifi internationally? | SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED Win XP »