Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Google Android on the Dell Mini 9 - 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM

Anyone had any luck getting Android running on the Dell Mini 9.

Looks like some have had luck installing this on some other netbooks...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/05/move ... note-2133/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/02/andr ... -of-hours/
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Google Android on the Dell Mini 9 - 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM

while there is quite a bit of cool factor what would be the point? Still I would love to see it if someone where to be so inclined!

:mrgreen:
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Google Android on the Dell Mini 9 - 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm interested as a would-be developer of smartphone software. I'm going to install OS X on my Mini in order to run the iPhone SDK; if I could boot Android on it, I could put off buying an Android phone for a while.

OK, so I'm cheap, too.

For the record, though, I am going to buy a retail copy of Leopard; mainly because I own shares in Apple...

Cheers,

John :^P (very pleased this forum exists, and hoping to make a useful contribution eventually)
  (#4) Old

Default 05-04-2010, 12:45 AM

It would be awesome, would be a great bit of kit if you did a tablet mod, I use my HTC desire Android phone to do mostly all the same stuff I do on a netbook, I.e. casual gaming, web browsing, reading comics and creating the odd document, so to be able to do that in a tablet style device (NOT MADE BY APPLE :P) would be great, why would I use a power hungry OS over Android?
  (#5) Old

Default 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM

I have run the version available at magicandroidapps.com

tutorial follows :

First I downloaded Unetbootin
(specifically unetbootin-win-549.exe);

Next I downloaded both images from here the dellmini.iso.gz and the dellmini_usb.img.gz

magicandroidapps.com/wiki//index.php?title=Dell_Mini

I made a 1gb usb stick into an android boot rom from the iso version and the usb .img version both had the same issues (very buggy, no sound, random display issues, and keyboard settings are not persistent even with the proper filesystems and settings suggested on the android x86 website and wiki)

since i had no sound and other random glitches, i started reading and decided to give the sparta (dell mini duo) image from here android-x86.org/download a try

better results with the sound, graphics, and persistent settings but wifi doesn't work. Ethernet worked fine and adding gmail was easy and usable, youtube works great, and music plays fine.

so if someone out there with more skill than me in this department can figure out why the sparta image isn't graphically glitchy and sound works, can include the wifi drivers from the dellmini image we would have a nice transitional dell mini droid that runs the 9 10 and 10v, EDIT OH yeah and the DUO also.

I know this is an almost dead thread from last year but since I had not seen anything else on it so I decided to respond here and let those who were interested try it out.

Last edited by sleeper777; 06-30-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Finish the tutorial
  (#6) Old

Default 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper777 View Post
I have run the version available at magicandroidapps.com

tutorial follows :

First I downloaded Unetbootin
(specifically unetbootin-win-549.exe);

Next I downloaded both images from here the dellmini.iso.gz and the dellmini_usb.img.gz

magicandroidapps.com/wiki//index.php?title=Dell_Mini

I made a 1gb usb stick into an android boot rom from the iso version and the usb .img version both had the same issues (very buggy, no sound, random display issues, and keyboard settings are not persistent even with the proper filesystems and settings suggested on the android x86 website and wiki)

since i had no sound and other random glitches, i started reading and decided to give the sparta (dell mini duo) image from here android-x86.org/download a try

better results with the sound, graphics, and persistent settings but wifi doesn't work. Ethernet worked fine and adding gmail was easy and usable, youtube works great, and music plays fine.

so if someone out there with more skill than me in this department can figure out why the sparta image isn't graphically glitchy and sound works, can include the wifi drivers from the dellmini image we would have a nice transitional dell mini droid that runs the 9 10 and 10v, EDIT OH yeah and the DUO also.

I know this is an almost dead thread from last year but since I had not seen anything else on it so I decided to respond here and let those who were interested try it out.

I'm very interested in trying this, primarily for Skype, so camera and mic (and video + sound of course) would have to work.

I'm wondering if the WiFi can be resolved by a cheap USB wifi? It might be a chipset support problem.
  (#7) Old

Default 02-21-2012, 01:58 AM

still interested in this myself
  (#8) Old

Default 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Ive downloaded several versions of both 3.2 and 4.0 stable and nightly builds from there main site so far im just getting stuck at detecting android-x86 then nothing after that could be im using a sd card instead of a thumb drive which is what ive seen other people using but mine is being used right now as im typing this will post results if i can get it to work properly

edit:
got it to work using unetbootin-windows-563.exe on my sd card was using yumi at first but it didn't work even with my thumb drive. android 4.0 ice cream sandwich is loaded right now i don't know what works and what doesn't will update if i come across any problems

edit2:
played around for a few mins with 4.0 ics android-x86-4.0-eeepc-20120101.iso build. ork er well menus are pretty fast, sound works, it picked up my thumb drive, it would tell me if i was on battery or ac with percentage(not sure how accurate it was though),
what didnt work was wifi (just kept saying connecting then wouldnt even let me turn it on), ethernet didnt work and i didnt see any options for it, camera crashed when it tried to open, calling of course failed (because i know some people in this world would ask if it did)

sorry i dont even know how i missed this but im using a dell mini 10v

Last edited by motel6man; 02-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.
  (#9) Old

Default 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM

I tried android-x86-4.0-RC1-eeepc.iso on the Dell Mini 9... as the previous user mentioned, Wifi is not working. Is there a way to go around that? Am wondering... Thanks for any suggestions that you may have to fix this main problem.
  (#10) Old

Default Android x86 4.3 on Mini 9 - 02-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Hi I'm running x86 4.3 on my Mini 9, using an external Wi-fi adapter, which seems to connect. Though I can't get Skype working. What versions of X86 are you guys running now, and what are the results?

« Chromium OS - can't left or right click. | Using an operative system from USB drive »