Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-06-2009, 08:48 AM

for .NET developmenton the windows platform, visual studio express is free. There are then many free open source tools that provide the capabilities that the paid for version provides (NUnit, NDoc, NAnt etc).

I personally installed the professional edition. It loads super quick (on win7) , but wouldnt consider this for anymore than hello world style example apps. The intention here is to then use the mini as a learning tool "on the go". For any actual project work, I then fall back to my MBP, or work at a desk.

I came across the following post when trying to decide what netbook to use: ... eview.aspx. The link is nothing more than a small review for the mini, but Hanselman is very wel respected in the .NET arena.

One of the main reasons I got the mini was to assist my learning (I am a freelance .NET developer).

(#12) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Ummm Not really , more towards the national languages like french, german and japanese. but you did answer the question very well, thank you.

STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#13) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-07-2009, 01:00 AM

I love my new US INTL keyboard. Definitely nice having the ' key in the right place, and direct access to the []{} and | keys.. Thought I might have made a mistake when I first installed it, the keys look much smaller, but after using it, I'm quite happy, I can even type better in the dark, since I don't have to go hunting for an apostrophe anymore.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#14) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM

The keys are smaller.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#15) Old
Angry Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM

I installed my MS Visual Studio 6 VB, VC++ and Visual FoxPro with SP5 to get the FoxPro part as current as they supported it, and then SP6 and the other few post SP6 updates without any problems.

On the zero cost end, I just found a Windows Basic compiler called FNX Basic. I haven't even had a chance to try it yet, but if you are interested, here is the url:

"Germanium" Jack

"Germanium" Jack
  (#16) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM

My personal thought on this...I like looking at more than 10 lines of code at a time!!! :lol:

I bought a 17" MBP (1920x1200) for that purpose, I got tired of looking at my code on my old Macbook at 1200x800. This is even worse, and even editing configuration files at the command line is a pain as you can't see everything at once.

To each their own I guess, but I need a lot more vertical resolution if I'm doing any coding. I will admit that since replacing my keyboard with the US-INTL one, it is far better, since you have dedicated keys for brackets and pipes. However, all in all, it still sucks.
  (#17) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-09-2009, 04:14 AM

Does anyone know if the Dell Mini 9s from Canada come with the new US-Intl keyboard standard? I'm from Canada and I recently called Dell about what keyboard was coming with mine (I've ordered it but haven't received it yet), and by the sound of it, it seemed like the keyboard was the US-Intl version. But, I'm not completely sure the person I was talking to understood everything I was saying, so I just wanted to see if there are any Canadian Dell Mini users here that can help clarify this!

(#18) Old
Send a message via AIM to Sakurina Send a message via MSN to Sakurina
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 01-10-2009, 11:39 PM

I got my Mini 9 in November from Dell Canada and it had the original US keyboard. Can't speak for the newer ones.

I got the Mini 9 to have a tiny laptop to bring to school, and if you force yourself to code on the machine nonstop, the awkward keychord required to get to the square/curly braces will sink in rather quickly. I now find myself using the same keychord when attempting to code on my iMac back home. :P

It's good, you just need to adjust to it.
  (#19) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM

So any chance someone used -
1.) netBeans
2.) MySQL

on the dell mini 9 ?

i was always skeptical of the SSD hard-disk. from what we studied in class, i would have thought that SSD devices would get a little slow over use (more the writes..)
Given that the most compilers for these programming languages use paging extensively, i was wondering how programmers are finding this machine.

(here's a pretty nice page on SSD's - )

thanks !
  (#20) Old
Default Re: Mini 9 Good for Programming? - 04-21-2009, 02:12 AM

When I'm at work, I tend to just plug in a USB keyboard (we've tons of them) into the Mini. This helps a ton, but only when I'm at work. I'm a workaholic, though, so I haven't taken my Mini anywhere else but work.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera

« win7 os x dual boot problems | Does Windows XP come on a CD? »