Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Red face My fourth mini9/a90....a wreck from Ebay - 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM

So I picked it up cheap on ebay as it was a wreck with a nearly working version of XP.

Took my spare keyboard since I got an International one a year ago and began cleaning it up. Netbook remix of Ubuntu for right now to get the bugs work out.

The LCD cover is scratched to beat hell, so I picked up a designer one (the purple lady) so we will see. The case is a little beat up, but my goal is to abuse it.

I'll share more when the other parts arrive and I get the OS the way I want it.

My wife is pretty much sick of me getting these - but what does she know, she likes her 10v
  (#2) Old
Default 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Looks like a fun project.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM

I hope your fixer-upper project goes well.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 12:44 AM

Even though the back cover is on its way, I sanded the scratched up black cover I have and added a decal.

Ubuntu with an OSX theme is starting to take shape now, and fiddling with different audio players that allow crossfade so I can have it as a backup when I DJ

I put 1gb of ram into it, but still seeing some serious lag when playing music. I'd hate to think I would have to have 2gb to make it run smooth with linux...
  (#5) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 11:04 PM

is sanding it down a good way to get rid of scratches could you post a higher res or better close up mine has deep scratches when ive had my keys or stuff in my bag with the laptop and its scratched it

Dell Mini 9 - 16GB RunCore SSD - 1GB Ram - 3G Vodafone Broadband - Bluetooth - 0.3MP Webcam
OS - OsX Snow Leopard. / Currently testing Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
  (#6) Old
Default 04-30-2010, 06:06 AM

It turned out with a flat finish, and I would only advise sanding as a "last resort" option unless you plan on painting it.

I use a variety of fine sandpapers, then eventually a sponge with (ahem) lemon pledge on the orbital sander.

This is just going to be my utility netbook until I pass it off to one of my daughters. I just got a new art cover (the purple lady one) cheap, which when I give this to her in a year or so it will have installed.

I just did this to give it a neat look instead of a stock beat up finish.

I also just threw XP back on it, as I need a backup to DJ with this weekend and the Ubuntu just wasn't getting the job done in regards to the programs I like to use.

« Wanting a small USB soundcard... | Boot Windows XP from a Flash Drive »