Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM

While I don't condone aggressive behaviour I think most of us has experienced the Dell round phone ring. Also members need to be aware that rules relating to warrenties are very different in Australia: see below

The statutory warranty/guarantee are a strong consumer protection

The statutory warranty/guarantee provides strong consumer protection for at least six good reasons:

1. Free: It’s free
2. Automatically applies: By law it applies to virtually every purchase of goods or services, regardless of any manufacturer’s warranty or any extended warranty you may purchase.
3. No specified time limit: It’s not limited to a pre-determined time-period.
4. Comprehensive protection: It provides comprehensive protection for goods if they break down or don’t do what you’d reasonably expect of them. For services, if they’re not of a standard you’d expect of a person in the particular trade or profession. More details below on specific protections.
5. You are entitled to repair, refund or replacement for goods or getting the job redone for services: You, the customer, are entitled to a solution which puts you in the same situation as if the problem had never happened. For goods this may mean repair, refund or replacement. For services, it may be to have the job redone or being paid for the costs of having it redone.
6. Follow up with retailer: You only have to follow it up with the retailer – no running around to manufacturers or special repairers.

The key point is the note above - NO time limit, yes in Australia this is based on the premise that there is a fair-use aspect - if you have a TV and it dies after 18 months without any fault or foul play from the purchaser and there is an expectation that TV's of this type should last longer than 18 months then regardless of the warranty specifics like 12 months then you are legally protected by legislative law.

So please realise that this a legal obligation from the supplier - if there is an expectation that an SSD installed on the mini 9 should last more than 12 months Dell have a legal obligation to replace this. Unless they can prove that this in normal use will last no longer than 12 months - and I think we would all agree that an SSD should last 2 years - at a min.

By default Dell must then replace this faulty part. It's the law in Australia.

As for his use of language I'm sure none of us can claim to have pure mouths, I have been frustrated by many a call centre and agree getting pissed off only results in a hang-up and another half hour on the phone so learn to control one self. I'm not condoning any aggressive behaviour just trying to add balance to this thread.

Sorry also just realised - we also have free health care - god bless Australia!!!
  (#12) Old
Default 02-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by grungysquash View Post
Sorry also just realised - we also have free health care - god bless Australia!!!
We can't seem to figure out health care here - maybe a good look at Australia's system would help us out. I do want to echo your bless Australia.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#13) Old
Default 02-28-2010, 06:11 AM

i always try to explain this to my friends...being an asshole is just as good as a warranty. if someone doesn't give you what you want, talk to their boss, if they're uncooperative, talk to their boss. someone somewhere will do what you want just to shut you up.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram
  (#14) Old
Default 03-06-2010, 11:40 AM

The price for a one year extension is a little hard to understand. I just extended my warranty for 3 years on my Mini 9 for three years for $82.00.

Mini 9=Black/64gb RunCore SSD/1.3 camera/Blue Tooth/2gb RAM/WAN Card Slot and running XP PRO
  (#15) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wskopar
I am a very fair, and reasonable person...
That's debatable.

Also my work that I do is not as easy as it may seem, last week I was fortunate to get 2 photoshoots...
And your choice of occupation is somehow Dell's responsibility?

...The Phase one H20 has to be tethered to something, and the Dell was always great for being ultra-portability... ...For something like the Hard drive to crash, is very frustrating. I myself deal with customers a lot. I am a very fastidious, and pragmatic person, so to me, I take great care, and attention to my clients, and I get fantastic customer feedback.
I'm calling shenanigans at this point. If you're so fastidious, you think you would've come to the realization that technology fails from time to time. And being so pragmatic, would've, I don't know, maybe had a backup solution lying around in case of the inevitable?

I've gone through the trouble of highlighting the words that help illustrate who's responsibility this all is.
  (#16) Old
Default 05-27-2010, 04:54 AM

Doesn't the metal content in your pram affect your wifi reception?
  (#17) Old
Default 05-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Thanks for making all of our warranties more expensive.

I look forward to avoiding you all together.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#18) Old
Default 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wskopar View Post
So my Dell has worked for me without a beat, or any issues, it proved its worth when I flew off to Malta, and France. However recently the hard drive has crashed.
So buy a new one. Sheesh.
  (#19) Old
Default 05-28-2010, 03:22 AM

Interesting KABA's warranty extension for 3 years was $82 U.S. while I was quoted the equivalent of $172 U.S. for a mere ONE year extension here in Asia from Dell. Hmmm... Dell what are you upto?
  (#20) Old
Default 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM

My hard drive recently just stopped working, I was smart enough to connect a USB Hard drive and stick in the diagnostics disc to find the error code which I could give to Dell Technical support... I was on the phone no longer than 10 minutes.

Cost of a new Hard drive they quoted me £120 pounds (14GB), I declined and bought a 32GB Runcore for £97

I just think you were in a bad mood.

« Where is the dell vostro a90? | A basic question: is it possible to use Function keys? »