Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default overclock cpu? - 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM

I was reading around and found a thread that people with the asus n10c are overclocking to about 2.0ghz. Is this possible with the mini 9? ... tures.html

The n10c should have the same atom processor. ... ction.html (more tools)
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: overclock cpu? - 12-24-2008, 07:58 PM

We have one of the only Netbooks without a fan.. I imagine you'll quickly run into thermal throttling and negate any speed increase you get.
And I haven't heard of anyone that has done it yet. You'd have to figure out what PLL our machine uses, and then use a software program to set it to a different speed. Assuming we have one that has higher frequencies available. This would pretty much only work in Windows.. And the program would have to be run every time you boot up to turn the speed back up, it wouldn't be a permanent change.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: overclock cpu? - 12-24-2008, 08:32 PM

UnaClocker is, again, a source of wisdom and enlightenment...

Mini 9's can't actively cool like the Wind can, so you'd be left with the choice of a) burning out your CPU, or b) turning it back down during use anyway.

For the life of me, I can't grok why everyone wants to overclock/upgrade RAM/play WoW at high-end frame rates on a machine that is solidly in 2005's performance curve. Aren't there desktops and gaming consoles for that? I mean, for the monetary difference in performance, you get to do so much more with a real desktop...

I'd think gamers would try to avoid this machine like the plague. I'm happy they haven't - sales will drive this little monster, after all.

If it's more a "what can I make it do" question, I could get into that. However, given the difference between the MSI's internals and the Mini's, the overclocker should probably go with the Wind.

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#4) Old
Default Re: overclock cpu? - 12-25-2008, 06:20 PM

If you don't raise your voltage, your heat will only raise marginally - if at all. If you have good HS contact you should be fine. A 2Ghz overclock should definitely be do-able with these machines.

Mini9/Cherry Red/16GB/2GB
Mac Pro/4x2.66/1.5TB/6GB/Quad Displays
Shuttle PC/AMD 2Ghz/1TB/1GB
Custom/AMD 3Ghz/500GB/1GB/Arcade Mame Machine
2 360's/Wii/PS2/2 DC/PSP/GBA/PSP/...{more}
  (#5) Old
Default Re: overclock cpu? - 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM

I don't see overclocking my mini's but I wish a tool like RMCLOCK would support the Atom processor. I've cooled and prolonged battery life of several laptops by simply lowering voltages. I'm not sure if the Atom works the same way or not or if development is just not there for this.

« Firefox Plugins to Install | Dell Outlet: Bluetooth w/ 1.3mp camera Impossible »