Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM

16gb was always enough for me ! I installed typical support stuff (flash/adobe reader/java) and office XP pro and had 4-6 gb left if I remember correctly.

I would simply reimage the machine. There is some leftover stuff you just dont need from the old user.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#12) Old
Default 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM

16 GB should be plenty of room for XP.

I had XP Pro SP3, Office XP, Photoshop 7, Adobe Reader, Firefox, Chrome, Nero, Unreal Tournament + tons of extra maps, Age of Empires, Half Life, Mame + tons of ROMs, Quake 3 demo. Because I'm an IT professional I also had ISOs of the following install discs: Windows XP, Windows 2003, Microsoft ISA. Also had the network install files for SP3 for XP and SP2 for 2003 on my machine. Plus many PDFs, miscellaneous drivers and other odds and ends. I had a 16GB SSD and I still had 2GB free.

Now, I did compress the Programs Folder. Never had any issue, BTW.

Just yesterday I upgraded to a 32GB SSD, mostly because the 16GB Super Talent was too sloooooooow, but also because I want more room.

Still, you can fit an awful lot in 16GB.
  (#13) Old
Default 02-21-2010, 11:46 PM

I had the exact same problem. I was down to 1-2gb of free space shortly after receiving my mini9 brand new over a year ago so I've hardly used it. The tips above really helped me and now I've got about 5.5gb free.

Thanks very much!!! I might not upgrade my netbook for awhile now which will make my husband extremely happy.

« Cheapest place to buy SSD for mini 9 | Bluetooth disappeared after XP reinstall? »