Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 SSD strategy help - 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM

In short order I am getting a new Dell Latitude and they are offering a Mini 9's for $55 more. The only meaningful option is an upgrade from 8 to 16GB on the SSD for $40.

I've done a fair amount of due diligence here but don't have time to sift through it all before I need to place my Dell order.

Is it worth the $40 to go to 16gb?

It looks like Runcore makes a fairly priced larger drive. It may or may not have issues with it being in stock or with overheating.

On ebay it looks like I can sell an 8gb stec for about $45. Not sure how much I can get for a 16gb.

I'm not sure if I should even consider reselling after an upgrade anyway.

Some here seem to be using memory cards to augment storage.

I don't want to put a lot of money into this but I can surely use more than 8 let alone 16gb in a hurry. This will basically be an around the home and go on vacation/ride in the car kind of machine.

These are some of my observations/opinions and I'd appreciate yours.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 09:40 PM

What OS? What apps? How do you intend to use the Mini?

As for more storage, SD cards are cheap and fit flush in the Mini 9, so they're a easy solution for more media storage, but a bit awkward for apps.

As for my own experience, I use my Linux Mini to browse the web, manage it and other computers via a terminal, and play music off the network, so I don't need much local storage (my 4GB SSD is half empty, and the SD card I have for the Mini is currently unused).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM

It comes loaded with XP Home and I don't have a lot of desire to mess around with it too much.

Around the home it would just be a netbook but we travel a lot and I can see us wanting to load it up with down converted video and stuff like that for traveling and that's where the space will probably be eaten up.

I'm sure 8gb is not enough. I could probably get by with 16. I just don't know whether it would be better to put the extra $40 for the upgrade towards more ssd or spend it now and resell the 16 on ebay if/when I need to upgrade.

I think I'm inclined to take the 16gb option and move from there. I don't need to spend a whole lot everybodies time on this.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM

16GB is adequate - the XP install will take about half of that (more if you uncompress the disk.) You can load movies onto an SD card and play from there - I've done that.

I would definitely take the 16GB option, unless you're going to order a RunCore or SuperTalent larger drive (for more money.) 8GB is too small.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Any Guides for dual booting chrome + win7? | Mac OS X Do i really need 1 GB? »