Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#11) Old

Default Heya.....Sorry My Reply is so late... - 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlo View Post
Can you tell how were you able to do this
Heya!

First off, I apologize for being so late to see and respond to your message - I'm sorry.

Also, made 10 distinct more changes, and 3 subtle changes (FWIW).

Check here for my latest tinkering:

http://home.comcast.net/~dadams007/screen-f.jpg

The main 2 programs you will need, which do not change any OS or crucial files, and the basic (core) theme runs on XP SP3.

1. KEY Component:

Download Leopard-X 1.07 - Transform your XP into Mac OS X - Softpedia (FREEWARE)

but install the patcher first:

Download SP3 UxTheme Patcher 1.3 - This little patch will enable the user to have his own unsigned themes ready to use on the new Service Pack 3 install. - Softpedia (FREEWARE)

2. KEY Component:

Stardock ObjectDock

Which gives you the dock and raised icons (Mac OS Dock Look). You can change the look of the Dock and it is FREEWARE.

3. The splash screen ( Image 2 of my previous message & work - http://home.comcast.net/~dadams007/bk-image2.jpg ) that shows after you enters Win XP, and it shows for 5 seconds only, then disappears (you can pick how long it displays), was created by me with a tiny freeware screensaver/slideshow program, and the base graphic created in Adobe Photoshop by myself. I can provide the graphic (for a template if you want), and the link to the tiny free program is below.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Last, everything else is purely aesthetic changes (NO OS, system, or crucial file changes). I moved the Win XP Taskbar to the TOP (which anyone can do without a theme now) and used a bunch of Mac Icons that I collected for the dock and folders. I can provide in a zip or rar if you want all of them.

This place is a good place to get icons & convert icons:

We Love Icons: Mac, Windows and Linux PNG icons of the finest quality!

Another Icon Library:

Folder Icons

Any questions, feel free to ask Sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't, since 2 programs do the look, and you can just play around with the icons. The splashcreen takes NO time to create one you have the graphic you want, maybe 5 minutes at most.

Hope this helps

Dell Mini 10v N270 1.6GHz 2GB RAM 160GB WinXP
Dell Vostro A90 N270 1.6GHz 2GB RAM 8GB SSD 16GB SDHC BT WinXP w/Custom Mac OS X Theme
http://home.comcast.net/~dadams007/A...SX-collage.jpg
  (#12) Old

Default 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Thank you. better late than never. I will try this.

Black Dell Mini 9 w/Vostro A 90 trim 16gb OSX 10.6.3 3G WWAN Broadband (Runcore 64gb)
Asus 1201n Intel Dual Core N330 250gb 3gb ram Triple boot Osx/W7/Jolicloud
  (#13) Old

Default No problem... - 03-14-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlo View Post
Thank you. better late than never. I will try this.
No problem. If you need wallpaper(s) or any kind of Mac/Win icons, just let me know. The icon links I provided will help. FYI, in searching for different and/or Mac items, I have tons of stuff

Goodluck

Dell Vostro A90 N270 1.6GHz 2GB RAM 8GB SSD 16GB SDHC BT WinXP w/Custom Mac OS X Theme
  (#14) Old

Default 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM

This isn't my work, but it gives you an idea of just how Mac-like a Windows machine can look.

DeviantArt (linked above) or Aqua-Soft are GREAT resources for customizing your computer.

Main: Dell StudioXPS 13 | Black | 4 GB RAM | 500GB HD | Windows 7 Ultimate
Travel: Dell Mini 10v | Black | 2 GB RAM | 340GB HD | Windows 7 Ultimate | Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard)
Phone: Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) running Froyo (2.2) [rooted and sideload enabled]
  (#15) Old

Default Yeah... - 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknlil View Post
This isn't my work, but it gives you an idea of just how Mac-like a Windows machine can look.

DeviantArt (linked above) or Aqua-Soft are GREAT resources for customizing your computer.
Yeah, I saw some really in-depth Mac OS X Themes....Again, you are relying entirely on 3rd party software for everything, and sometimes "system" files are changed, and you have to scrap/reinstall if anything goes wrong or is incompatible with other software or XP3; However, there are awesome (some old Mac OS X themes out there) if they install and work with all software

Looking at that one, wallpaper can be easily changed to Leopard or other official Mac OS X wallpaper (I just happen to like the blue Apple, lol ). The icons on the side is easy to do as well (can be done by anyone without a theme). The table (instead of the dock) is probably the only thing that I could not find a way around, and the taskbar headers. I thought about making the table in Photoshop, but did not want to spend that much effort (Objectdock is just fine for me). All software and windows DO OPEN with the Mac OS X overlay/look, but with the buttons are on the right (e.g. http://home.comcast.net/~dadams007/dca-nfinal4.JPG)

Thank you! A lot of the changes can be made without OS system, dll file or other crucial file changes........(can be 99% aesthetic). The menu bar and dock are the key issues....... and maybe the intro "splashcreen" (http://home.comcast.net/~dadams007/dca-nfinal3.JPG) if you want to go that far

thanks again.......

(#16) Old

Default 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM

I haven't done a Mac theme in quite awhile (I prefer my Win7 to look like Windows, these days), but there are generally two pieces of software that really do the trick for emulating a mac, and both are made by Stardock...

ObjectBar ... which allows you to emulate the 'taskbar' of a Mac

and

Windowblinds ... which allows you to change the entire "look" of your system. See this for an example OS X theme. (In fact, that also includes the object bar file from the looks of it).

And actually...a third piece of software that I even continue to use (mainly because of how much information it can be adjusted to display) is AveDesk. I know a lot of people use a 'desklet' of Avedesk called 'Avetunes' to emulate CoverSutra (like this).

Anyways...hope you don't mind my thoughts/advice/constructive criticism.

Travel: Dell Mini 10v | Black | 2 GB RAM | 340GB HD | Windows 7 Ultimate | Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard)
Phone: Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) running Froyo (2.2) [rooted and sideload enabled]
  (#17) Old

Default Thanks...and... - 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I haven't done a Mac theme in quite awhile (I prefer my Win7 to look like Windows, these days), but there are generally two pieces of software that really do the trick for emulating a mac, and both are made by Stardock...

ObjectBar ... which allows you to emulate the 'taskbar' of a Mac

and

Windowblinds ... which allows you to change the entire "look" of your system. See this for an example OS X theme. (In fact, that also includes the object bar file from the looks of it).

And actually...a third piece of software that I even continue to use (mainly because of how much information it can be adjusted to display) is AveDesk. I know a lot of people use a 'desklet' of Avedesk called 'Avetunes' to emulate CoverSutra (like this).

Anyways...hope you don't mind my thoughts/advice/constructive criticism.

No, don't mind. I'm using Stardock's Objectdock which is pretty harmless (not Objectbar which is only "partly" or no longer supported it seems).......From reading, the software is causing problems ("bugs") for some, compatibility issues with Explorer and XP3...... When you start using various third party programs, some of them modifying OS, .dll, and other crucial files....you may have issues ...keep that in mind

The fewer "other" (third-party programs), and the more custom/aesthetic changes, the less bugs/problems/incompatibility, IMHO

The custom theme above isn't all mine, and I use Objectdock and a very baseline Leopard-X Theme (overlay) combination, + tons of other changes I've made/created, as noted above, and it has been (knock, knock on wood) bugless and every piece of my software, including all the base XP Programs (Explorer, Media Player, etc etc) I use/tested works with it....and no OS, .dll, or crucial files were modified....

To each, his or her own. I wanted to do it, with the least amount of bugs/problems/incompatibility issues.......Others can take the shortcut and find a few programs that will do the ENTIRE makeover, and accept whatever comes with that...... their choice

(#18) Old

Default 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM

The stuff I mentioned seems least buggy on XP, at least from my own personal experience. As I said, I still love Avedesk, but it can't do half the things in 7 that it did in XP, which makes me a sadpanda.

To each their own. Just figured I'd bring your attention to things that could take you that 'extra step' if you desired to take it.

(#19) Old

Default 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The stuff I mentioned seems least buggy on XP, at least from my own personal experience. As I said, I still love Avedesk, but it can't do half the things in 7 that it did in XP, which makes me a sadpanda.

To each their own. Just figured I'd bring your attention to things that could take you that 'extra step' if you desired to take it.
Thanks....I appreciate it Have you seen these? They are one step (third party software programs, but pretty old, 3-5 yrs), and may no longer be supported).

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.as...d=4881&libid=1

Leopard Glass 3.0 with LeoFox by ~neodesktop on deviantART

Yes, if you want a one-stepper, they are out there

(#20) Old

Default 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM

I found this theme for Win 7 Looks pretty good.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Theme for Windows 7 | Redmond Pie

I realize this started as a Win XP thread...but I know a lot of peeps are interested in the Win 7 themes as well.

« New mini 9, Xp, Hulu, Drivers, Battery, Some optimization. | just a thought...... »