Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Install Thumbkey Parts # - 01-05-2010, 02:08 AM

Well, as I mentioned on another thread, my Mini 9 ate itself (driver problems), and I didn't have a USB drive with which to reinstall from the DVD.

Today, the FedEx guy stopped by and dropped off an official Dell issue thumbkey with Ubuntu 8.04 Dell specific version on it. And it just worked.

So, I thought you all might like to know the parts number, just in case.

The little ziplock bag that the key came in has the following numbers on its bar-code sticker:

"DellP/N 0X561M"

It's a two gigabyte black-plastic-&-chrome read-only key from China, has the part number (Dell P/N X561M) printed on one side and "Reinstallation media Ubuntu For Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910)" on the other.

So, if no one has ever brought up the parts number, now you know. It might be possible to order one directly from Dell.

Mine is going into the same chest where I keep all my reinstall CD's.

Ed Becerra
  (#2) Old
Default 01-05-2010, 05:16 AM

I appreciate the post, even I'll never use the info.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 01-11-2010, 06:15 AM

I ended up with one of those after sending a friend's Mini 9 in for repairs. The Mini 9 needed a mobo replacement, but they also inexplicably took our her 8gb SSD and installed a 4gb SSD. I called to complain, and they sent me an 8gb SSD, but the guy on the phone was adamant that I wouldn't be able to install the OS unless they sent me the USB stick. Fine with me...

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black, 64 GB RunCore SSD, 2 GB RAM, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard (DellEFI Method)

« Upgrading DM9 from Ubuntu 9.04UNR to 9.10UNR? | Heat Pads »