Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Upgrading DM9 from Ubuntu 9.04UNR to 9.10UNR? - 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM

I'm generally satisfied with 9.04 UNR on my Dell Mini 9 (2MB RAM, 16GB SSD) except for the sound level to external speakers and earphones, which is too low. I don't know what to expect from the upgrade, so I'm asking here: Is it worth the trouble, good experience, bad experience?

(#2) Old
Default 01-06-2010, 04:27 AM

I was disappointed with 9.10, ... enough that I installed Debian instead (although Debian has it's own problems).

Two things in particular that annoyed me in 9.10 : The hard drive monitor says your hard drive is failing, when it's fine (certain drives seem to give it fits, like the 4GB STEC SSD in base Mini 9's). And the included version of the Intel graphics driver is missing overlay ability, limiting video playback quality.

As for your volume troubles, try running "alsamixer" in a terminal (or another mixer program), and max out any relevant channels.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 9.04/9.10 Alsamixer - 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Reflex, thank you very much!

I went to Accessories>Add/Remove and searched on alsamixer. There were two choices: The first one said something about a GUI for it. I added that but it wasn't much help. I then removed that and added the other, which said it was for GNOME. This one has many controls including one for the headphones which was initially at the lowest level. After pushing up the volume in the alsamixer controller I get all the volume I want.

That solves that problem, which is the only one with 9.04 that I can identify at the moment, so I will leave my DM9 at U 9.04 until I find a reason to change.

« Mini 9 from ebay | Dell Install Thumbkey Parts # »