Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#21) Old
Default 01-10-2010, 01:06 AM

Each to his own, folks. I prefer Windows over OS X myself, but don't insult others who "think different".

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#22) Old
Default 01-15-2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wek
I'm really not a fan of Apple.
Originally Posted by FlyAU98 View Post
Keep "enjoying" Windows on your machine and quit complaining about its "features".

My Mini9 rocks with OS X on it. If not for the small keyboard, I'd probably use it close to full time as my main computer.

I am not an Apple fan either...but I agree that OSX and the Mini 9 were made for each other...I have a triple boot...I use OSX about 75% of the time, and XP the other 25%...I boot to Ubuntu just to see if it is still there
  (#23) Old
Default 01-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Actually.. I found that Windows 7 runs way better with my Mini than XP ever did. Although my SSD is a stock 32gb so I'd probably recommend upgrading the SSD and then installing Windows 7.
  (#24) Old
Default 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM

first on your list should be the ssd. my mini sucked when i first got it and it came with a supertalent 16gb ssd. It was slow and often when using my mini it would just lock up for a few seconds usually in the middle of typing something or doing some minor task. I was about to sell it and decided to get a runcore after testing the speed of the ssd. Since my ssd upgrade my mini is really fast. faster than my work laptop that was just purchased on certain tasks. I do run os x but just get a fast ssd and don't look back. really with 2gb ram and a decent ssd, these machines are great considering how cheap they are.
  (#25) Old
Default 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Do buy a runcore SSD and I'd recommend a 16gb before giving up. I really REALLY like the mini 9, it's just too hard for these old eyes to see. There is nothing that can compare to a well sorted Mini9/2gb hyperX/64gb runcore and a well running-tweaked copy of xp pro if youre doing road warrior duties. I gave my last mini9 to my oldest daughter and she has it with her always.

If you do decide to throw your mini9 to the wind and try a different mini again, give the latitude 2100 a shot (see my sig). It is a bit bigger, but it's much easier to use then my daughters 10v than dealing with those horrible touchpads. Upgrading the latitude 2100 is a snap as well. Instead of 2 screws to access like the 9, it's 7 screws instead, but it's not a daunting task.

Hope this helps in some way.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#26) Old
Default 01-25-2010, 04:17 AM

wek, like most ppl have state already, i'd suggest at least getting a 32gb runcore and installing win7 on it. my mini9 came with a stock 4gb ssd and i was able to vlite a win7 on it, and that at least gave me room to include office xp pro, but that was pretty much it. if you get a the 32 runcore, you wont need to worry about space or tweaking it much at all. having 2gb of ram helps too but you hafta remember that these netbooks arent meant for heavy duty computing. it's really convenient for just doing everyday things - i'm almost always using it over my other laptop and desktop.

but if you're still set on ridding yourself of it, you can always advertise that it can run both windows and osx..that might be a clencher for some mac fans out there.

« New mini 9 user questions | help needed urgently regarding blue screen/xp install »