Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Homemade skin for my mini - 12-17-2008, 06:32 AM

Just thought I'd share this with everybody...

I have a black mini 9, they look great until you touch the cover...mine was marred with fingerprints 5 mins after taking it out of the box.

I started researching covers/skins for my mini, and was prepared to pay the 25-30 dollars for a skin. However, I remembered something I had laying around the house, and decided to give it a try. I do airbrushing as a hobby, and I use a product called "frisket paper" to mask off areas that I don't want painted. Frisket paper is a clear, low tack adhesive covering. I cut a section to the size of the top of my mini and applied it. It adheres great. It doesn't look as clean as a commercial skin, but it does the job. I've had it on several days now, and it does not seem to be peeling off. So far, it seems very durable. It definitely solved the fingerprint problem.

I purchased a package of 8, 15"x10" sheets for $11.00. You could skin approx 15 mini's per package. Frisket paper is available at any art supply store.

I'll let everybody know how it holds up.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Homemade skin for my mini - 12-17-2008, 06:51 AM

Cool, actually, I'd prefer you airbrush my mini for me...a nice sunset image would be great.

I don't really worry too much about prints on my Mini's lid, since I opted for the white one.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Homemade skin for my mini - 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM

This is the reason I opted for the cherry red one. With my luck it'll smear even worse.

Mini9/Cherry Red/16GB/2GB
Mac Pro/4x2.66/1.5TB/6GB/Quad Displays
Shuttle PC/AMD 2Ghz/1TB/1GB
Custom/AMD 3Ghz/500GB/1GB/Arcade Mame Machine
2 360's/Wii/PS2/2 DC/PSP/GBA/PSP/...{more}
  (#4) Old
Send a message via ICQ to dayene Send a message via AIM to dayene Send a message via MSN to dayene Send a message via Yahoo to dayene
Default Re: Homemade skin for my mini - 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM

i have the white one also but i would still want a little protection for it and this is the cheapest way to go. i'll try to find and fit one of these... if not, off with invisible shield.

Dell Mini 9 => White, Windows Ulitimate, 16GB SSD, G. Skill 2GB RAM, 1.3MP webcam.

« Itunes on SD Card | My Mini Dream has turned into a Oversized NIGHTMARE »