Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Which is faster: USB Flash Drive or SDHC card? - 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM

I just purchased the A-Data 16GB SDHC card from newegg, and it's rated as Class 6. I have also seen other brand of USB flash drive on that site that is rated at 30mb/sec read, 10+mb/sec write. Does anyone know in real world, which one is faster?

I have limited space (8GB) and just want to use either SDHC card of USB drive for music/movies, etc. Data transfer rate is very important, and physical size does not matter much.

Thanks for any info.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Which is faster: USB Flash Drive or SDHC card? - 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM

USB2 bandwidth is 480Mbps in some machines the card reader uses the USB bus, but this is NOT the case for the Mini's. For large data transfers I think USB would be faster but the SDHC slot is very convenient in that nothing sticks out.

Has anyone determined the throughput limitations of our memory card reader??
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Which is faster: USB Flash Drive or SDHC card? - 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM

I don't like to leave a USB memory stick attached for long because it seems like a lever just waiting to crack off a chunk of motherboard in a moment of carelessness. I try to copy the file(s) from the USB device to the SSD or SDHC memory rather than leaving the USB lever attachedfor long. I'm not so fussy about using my USB hard drives because they don't seem like there is much there at the USB connector to cause damage to the Mini9. I can't tell you the transfer rate for any of these options, but they all stream ripped video without stuttering.

« Recording meetings? | DELL CHAT NEVER WORKS IN AUSTRALIA »