Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-15-2008, 04:02 AM

I ordered my Mini9 on 11/29/2008, still haven't received it, they've changed the est. delivery date once already.... I'm thinking of canceling it and getting a $99 Acer Aspire One from Radio Shack even though you have to sign a two year contract with AT&T for the 3G card in it, but then I would at least have a netbook in hand, and I would have much better net access than the Mini 9's wifi would offer me. What do you guys think?

Here's the story:
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-15-2008, 04:11 AM

I think that thing is going to be SERIOUSLY out of date in 2 years..
Aside from that, I think the Aspire One is the next best netbook behind the Mini9..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-15-2008, 04:55 AM

I don't know if this is something you are interested in but I ordered my Mini and it was delivered 2 days later.. ground shipping. I ordered it from the outlet, not refurb but previously ordered new which I think is usually when someone cancels their order... I just kept my eye on their inventory until I found one I wanted and used the 20% off coupon that was out there a few weeks ago... I haven't looked at their inventory since nor looked for a coupon but I would imagine that even without the coupon it is a better deal and you get MUCH faster shipping. The Mini I ordered was $449 on the Dell Home site but was $369 in the outlet and then it was $313 after the coupon and tax (I also got free shipping).

(#4) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-15-2008, 06:53 AM

60$/month? not for me man! thats 1440$ in two years! :shock:

plus 500$/month/extra Gb! :lol:

sory me no spiko english
  (#5) Old
Send a message via AIM to jeffburg
Default Re: Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-15-2008, 07:56 AM

Yeah, this seems like a good deal if you were gonna get the Dell with the built in 3G card. The data service cost is the same no matter what the computer is. But the Acer Aspire One is sooooo Butt Ugly. I would have gotten it right away if it looked remotely good... its been the cheapest netbook for a long time. Its just FUGLY.

Mini9 Black/32GB RunCore/1GB/BT/Leopard
2.4GHz Aluminum iMac/320GB/4GB/Leopard
1.83GHz White iMac/150GB/1.5GB/Leopard Server
733MHz PowerMac G4 40GB/512MB/Tiger Server
500MHz PowerBook G3 40GB/1GB/Tiger
25MHz NeXT Cube 750MB/16MB/NeXTSTEP 3.3
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-15-2008, 02:42 PM

I bought the Acer One before buying the mini 9. I can tell you that the fan in the Acer never shuts up ! The hard drive (which after having it for one day I realize id not a good idea for something that you need to carry around) was noisy and slow.

Also, the touch pad is horrible compared to the mini 9 (the mini 9 touch pad is amazing on the fingers). I've tried both and hands down the Dell won. You can buy a wwan card and swap it for the wifi card then choose who you want as internet.

Try to buy one from ebay or local, but get the 16gb if not you may regret the much smaller 4/8 versions. You can pop a 16gb sdhc sd card into the mini 9 and voila, 32GB machine. Although the mini 9 does run a bit hotter than the Acer, it is also dead silent because of the SSD and the no fan.

The mini 9 also has in my opinion a much much better look and feel and the ac plug is way better than the old brick that acer ships with the One.

Best of luck !
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Cancel my 9 and get a $99 Acer from RS? - 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM

I had an Acer before, and a toshiba, (2 actually.) I would recommend against. Nice machine if a little over-sized but Linpus is so crap that it's basically the most frustrating thing I ever bought. If you're happy to just live with the cartoon screen and never install anything then go for it but otherwise, steer well clear. If you're talking about XP then you're stuck with odd colours, a slow 1.8 drive or under-size ssd. The toshiba is only good for wiping your arse on.

« Boot PXE SCCM 2007 | How to rid my machine...those annoying system tray icons? »