Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Wiping and formatting SSD (hard drive) - 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM

I just sold my stock STEC 8GB SSD drive from my Dell mini 9.

How do I completely wipe and format the drive.

Do I just load "Windows boot disk files" to a USB drive and initiate the format from this utility?
  (#2) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM

dban boot disk, one pass is fine, anymore and you're just being spiteful and wearing out the SSD

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

Dell Mini 9:
64gb SuperTalent Double Wide | 2gb RAM | eBay bluetooth | Windows 7
  (#3) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 08:39 PM

I've tried DBAN a few times on the stec 8 GB SSDs (not that I've got anything to hide of course!) and found that it wiped exactly half, and then stopped with an error message, i.e. it only wiped half the ssd. I think the original question is more about installing Windows on a new or wiped ssd. I do that with an external USB CD drive, with the XP installation disk from Dell. This will first format a new drive if it is unformatted. I think you can copy the files to a USB flash drive instead, but have not tried that.
  (#4) Old
Default 12-03-2009, 04:18 PM

As I understand it, when the disc is formatted during the reinstall of the operating system, all the data on it is lost; so wiping it is not required (unless you perhaps wanted to sell the ssd or pass it on; a wipe would make the data really gone).

Is anybody out there "aligning the partition" on the ssds? This supposedly increases its life span and speed. And is it really worth the trouble? I would try it if I had a guide that walked me thru it. As a beginner, I find the online guides (OCZ forum) too vague, complicated, and not specific for my mini. Maybe someone would put together a walkthru for us.
  (#5) Old
Default 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Formatting does not actually erase the data blocks - it resets the partition table, but there are tools that can read the "free" blocks and extract the data. There is a "secure erase" tool for some SSDs, though I don't know if this is generic.

The problem with tools such as DBAN is that the SSD controller actually redirects the writes to other memory blocks - it's possible for some of your data to still be in memory blocks, though it's not something the average user is going to be able to find.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Default 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM

My experience is that DBAN has never worked for any of the SSD's associated with the mini9. It will start, then quit after a bit.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit

« Did Dell discontinue the Vostro A90? | Medibuntu for Ubuntu 9.04 on Dell Mini 9 »