Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default HELP! have messed up my resolv.conf and wvdial.conf - 11-18-2009, 12:04 AM

am a linux newbie, and made the silly mistake of trying to get a usb dongle working on ubuntu on my mini9, and overwrote /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/wvdial.conf without making backups, and now i can't connect to wireless internet of some networks. Works at my house (sky) but wont work on my friends internet (o2).

Can anyone tell me exactly what these files should look like on ubuntu on the mini9 please? If someone could cat the files - would be most grateful.

(#2) Old
Default 11-18-2009, 03:00 AM

I think "sudo dpkg-reconfigure wvdial" will reconfigure the wvdial package from scratch, giving you a fresh config file (you might need "sudo dpkg-reconfigure --force wvdial" to force it to overwrite the existing file).

I think "sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdns50" will do the same for resolv.conf.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM

thanks. Realised that its prob not important that i messed up wvdial as its for modem settings, and my problem is with my wireless network card connecting.

Whats strange is how wireless connection does work on some broadband networks. It just worked this wknd on my parents talk talk internet.

The command suggested to reconfigure resolv.conf wasn't recognised. Which files should i be checking given my problem? Is it just the resolv.conf or other files too.

I managed to mess up my config when i was tring to get a 3 usb dongle to work, and blindy followed this 3G Mobile Broadband with Ubuntu-eee at Marengo

browsing around, was wondering whether i should run sudo dpkg --configure -a
or is this dangerous and could mess up my settings more? thoughts?

internet, network, resolv.conf, wvdial.conf

« Free Space Problem on an 8gb mini 9 winxp.... need help!! | Speed up your windows Mini 9 with eBoostr for free »