Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#21) Old
Lightbulb Re: Going with MS-DOS 3.30 on my Mini 9 - 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM

No way. DOS is way too modern. And who needs mass storage, or any sort of connectivity? Once you are past those hurdles, buckle down, grit your teeth, and remember that the BIOS flash is larger than a lot of the old minicomputer's core stacks. Then it's time to pare down and write a BIOS flash replacement that provides an interpreter for old PDP-8 minicomputer code and provides bare bones terminal support with the keyboard and LCD. The BIOS area is so comparatively large that you could probably fit in an old PDP-8 version of BASIC or FOCAL. The best part would be that every time the machine powers off, everything would be lost, just like the minicomputers.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek on this one.

"Germanium" Jack

"Germanium" Jack
  (#22) Old
Default Re: Going with MS-DOS 3.30 on my Mini 9 - 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM

For what it's worth, I'm typing this post right now on an Atari 1200XL (circa 1983). Well, sort of... the Atari keyboard is wired to an encoder connected to my Dell desktop. I can still play Joust with just a flip of a switch, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200XLpc.JPG (58.1 KB, 11 views)
  (#23) Old
Send a message via AIM to dougemes
Default Re: Going with MS-DOS 3.30 on my Mini 9 - 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by kancept
If I were to go DOS on my mini9, I'd throw DR Web Spyder on to surf. Somewhere AGES ago Iimplied?) Panasonic had a USB driver, and at one point I seem to remember a wireless driver wrapper, albeit, I doubt it works with anything in the mini-pci slot. Maybe I'll try putting OS/2 (or eCS) on mine after I get a new SSD. I definitely want to suffer and see how BeOS or Haiku runs on mine.
WOAH! flashback to 1999!!!

Its kyojin / source@zion from the BeShare days! Good to see you online still!

Lemme know if you get Bone or Haiku running (I still have a pIII running 5.03 pro)

Cherry Red Mini9 - Ubuntu, 32GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
- plan on setting it up to dual-boot with XP SP3, then triple-boot with MacOSX in '2009

« Dell order website!!!! | 16gb SSD »