Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Expert Member
Default 11-08-2009, 03:07 AM

I'm running Symantec Endpoint Protection on my Mini 10 with W7RC, it starts, runs, and shuts down faster than my Mini 9 I just installed W7 Pro on.

(#12) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 05:00 AM

First, I am a NOD32 reseller and am biased towards NOD32.

I clean infected computers all day that have Mcafee and Norton. NOD32 lets some spyware by, but that's about it. The performance hit by NOD32 is minimal. I will admit that the latest version of Norton has fixed it resource heaviness. I clean infected computers and then sell my customers NOD32. Uninstalling anti-virus software is a joke. I have to use removal tools for Norton, Mcafee and AVG because they don't want to go away. AVG half the time breaks the TCP/IP stack and Norton leaves behind a service in the network card configuration that until removed breaks your internet.

All personal firewalls are junk. Why do you need one? If I installed a personal firewall on my customers' computers they wouldn't be able to use it from confusion. They ask, "should I allow 'msimn.exe' or is it a virus?" I then tell them to just click "allow" and you'll start getting email again. Then it's downhill from there. They click "allow" for everything including viruses and spyware. Windows 7's firewall is pretty slick for laptops anyway, allowing you to have things open for home or the office and closing things down for public use.

I setup hardware firewalls for my corporate clients, small business and home users. NOD32 and a hardware firewall is all you need.

I don't know if this is allowed... if you go to and put in my name "justin" for the discount code you'll get 5% off of NOD32.

I rate anti-virus software in this order:
1. NOD32
2. Microsoft Security Essentials (because it's the best free AV)
3. Kaspersky (It's just as good as NOD32, but uses way more resources)
4. Avira (free AV that uses very little resources, gives too many false positives)
5. Norton (last year's version would be last on the list)
6. AVG, Macfee and the rest (AVG was once my favorite, now they are junk)
  (#13) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 06:26 AM

I have never played with NOD32 - used to be a zonealarm fan until it went downhill bigtime then Kespersky but found this to be troublesome and hard to configure the firewall, then AVG but had issues with slow internet connections (was 8.5 not 9) suspect V9 is now better but - now stick with MS security essentials. Have found it to be tiny - and uses hardly any resources + its free all good reasons to me.
  (#14) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM

I like the new Norton after it was re-written in 2009, although now I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection (you can leave out the firewall portion when installing.)

Getting an iPad
  (#15) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 02:49 PM

dreary79, I feel sorry for your customers and sorry for you. While I'll agree that a hardware firewall provides significant protection, it is useless against malware that makes it onto a user's system (often through the user's ignorance or being fooled). The best firewall products don't keep asking you to approve this and that - one of the reasons I like Norton so much.

Since you are providing services to others, I assume they are not knowledgeable enough on their own to reliably avoid risks. You are not doing them any favors by taking away a vital protection.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Amusingly, I just ran across an article titled "Battle of the anti-virus" which rated 16 products on how well they removed common threats.

"None of the products performed “very good” in malware removal or removal of leftovers, based on those 10 samples. eScan, Symantec and Microsoft (MSE) were the only products to be good in removal of malware AND removal of leftovers", says the report.
NOD32 was rated "average".

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 03:08 PM

holmes4 - I've read your posts on these forums. You have biased opinions just like everyone else. My biased opinion comes from working on thousands of computers a year, does yours? Have you used NOD32, have you used their admin server and console in a corporate environment? I've worked on hundreds of computer infected with Norton. Norton anti-virus didn't protect them and neither did the firewall. The thing that separates you from me is that I don't bash you. You say that you're sorry for me and my customers, I'm sorry for you.
  (#17) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
I don't need one for my HackMini, but for my Mini 9 with XP it's AVG, 'nuff said.
I've been happily using AVG for some time now on most of my computers. No complaints and no viruses. Not sure if I've ever seen a false positive. Certainly don't remember seeing one.
  (#18) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 09:19 PM

If you build any boot cd's or mess with any operating system builds you will find false positives everywhere! I decided to play with Security Essentials a little more and have just turned off scanning of my important folders. I will leave it on there until it decides to delete my Magic Jellybean keyfinder and then it is uninstalling like the others AVG also hated WPI and pretty much any cracked system file. If you are a casual user you probably would appreciate this, I dont!

One thing I have noticed is that MSE seems to be a very light program, doesnt take much space at all and doesnt hurt performance on older machines as much as AVG. I cant speak for NOD or even newer Norton (but the old ones left a very bad taste in my mouth, so I am not even wanting to try) but this seems to be great for older or lower power PC's.
  (#19) Old
Default 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM

The only way to be sure of killing of all viruses is to kill everything, so I don't bother with anti-virus software, I just do a complete image overwrite of the hard disk with a clean version. Only takes about 10 minutes on my 8GB minis.
  (#20) Old
Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 11-09-2009, 09:48 PM

I've been using the paid version of AVG, although I go through the Trial Pay thingy, and so I'm not actually paying for it (like one of the offers is to sign up for Netflix, so I do that, Netflix pays my AVG subscription, and then I cancel the Netflix lol)

Although I do have MSE installed also as backup, and when my subscription runs out I'll most likely switch to that...

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« Mini 9 - Slight stutter in Winamp, VLC, WMP audio playback | Great netbook, but higher res screen »