Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Using mini 9 as a desktop f(screen connected) - 12-06-2008, 02:55 PM

if I had a screen connected, external hard drive connected and keyboard connected, how close would the dell mini 9 get to operating like a full blown desktop computer?? I want to use gimp and ableton live on it aswell. Interested in what people think about this. Thanks in advance for replies!!
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: Using mini 9 as a desktop f(screen connected) - 12-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Hardware-wise there's no reason at all why it wouldn't work.
With a few modifications you could stick the entire works back behind an LCD monitor to create a very small footprint system.

There are "net-top" systems out now that are the exact specs of the Mini 9 available now.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Using mini 9 as a desktop f(screen connected) - 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM

I am also curious about what others doing this might say as well. I am impressed with the performance of the Atom, but I do wonder if I would be content with only this (performance-wise).

I tried this with an eeePC 701 when I had one, and it worked for a bit, but I finally decided I wanted more. I now have a quad-core desktop for power use and the Mini for portable use, which is perfect. I'm thinking about at some point adding an eeeBox (or similar) as a low power consumption, always-on file/print server and for light work.

All that to say, I'm curious about others experiences too.

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Using mini 9 as a desktop f(screen connected) - 12-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Depends what you want to do with it. Obviously with an external keyboard, mouse, & screen you get rid of any issues with those, though because you only have VGA out, higher screen resolutions may look a little fuzzy on big LCD displays. And with a big external drive you could get rid of any storage issues, though you'd have to make sure to manage things so that the stuff you want "on the go" is still on the SSD or SDHC cards...

You'd have to hook up at least VGA + power + USB + maybe Ethernet (or just go with WiFi). Use an external powered USB hub for the keyboard and mouse and maybe even external USB speakers. Or plug in yet another cable. I suppose there are USB connected "mini docks" that let you do most of this via USB as well.

The big issue is going to be performance though. With the 1.6GHz processor there are just some limitations on the things I'd be willing to do. I don't know if I'd want to rip CDs or DVDs with it, or transcode video for use on my iPod. Or even really run iTunes which is a big of a pig on my quadcore desktop system. Or even really multitask quite the way I do on a larger system.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#5) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Using mini 9 as a desktop f(screen connected) - 12-07-2008, 07:50 AM

iTunes actually runs pretty darn well on the Mini9, even the more complex visualizations like Jelly run excellent. At least at the standard Mini9 resolution. I haven't tried HD video from the iTunes store, but I kind of expect that not to work.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Using mini 9 as a desktop f(screen connected) - 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM

Dell will launch a small desktop with the Atom processor. Very nice system, with or without a harddisk (2.5inch)

« Recycle bin keeps moving to bottom 3/4 to the right | So why did you pick a mini over the competition »