Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Talking Windows 7 Beat My Expectations - 11-02-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by jonathanbencsme View Post
Currently running Ubuntu on my mini 9 , and while I am impressed with Ubuntus performance (speed, openness, its orange african safari style) the lack of compatibility with all my software is frustrating. I want to install Windows 7 but I only have an 8gb drive, is this at all possible or is this simply too small? You would that given how Windows 7 is also meant to target the netbook market they'd make it small enough to fit on the most common SSD sized drive. I really dont want to order and find out I cant use it

Other then that I am very happy with my mini the size of a smart book with the performance of a netbook

I just installed Windows 7 Professional on my Dell Mini 9, which has a Dell 64 GB SSD. I did not do any tweaking other than the volume shadow storage (set to 500 MB), and have Office 2003 Pro, and Visual Studio 2005 (custom using small MSDN library) and the whole install is taking "only" 18 GBs. I still want to add a few simple games, but otherwise I am happy with the performance.

(#12) Old
Default 11-02-2009, 06:08 AM

As said above in another post, it's a tight fit, but Win7 Ultimate/32 installed on my 8gb SSD and works absolutely flawless. The trick is to have a high-speed SD card... preferable 8GB or more which can be found for under $25 on eBay.

A few pointers...

• Disable hibernation which will free up nearly 2gb of space
  • Move the "Users" directory to your SD card
  • Disable and erase all "System Protection" aka Restore Points
  • Keep your "Temp" directories (Windows & Users) clean
  • ...and install all your programs (except for hardware dependent software) on the SD card.

For more info on how to do the above, just google it!

After following the above steps, I now have around 2GB of empty space on the SSD, with Office 2007 Pro, VNC viewer, AVG Free, Firefox & Thunderbird and other stuff all installed on the SD card (which is never removed for obvious reasons!).

If you take the vLite route, you will save even more room on your SSD. I decided not to since I'm a IT techie and needed a full install so I could support my colleagues at work which are migrating to 7.

Hope this helps!

« Audio hiss on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) | Removing lid on Mini 9 »