Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Virtualbox Win XP Install Hangs - 10-12-2009, 04:08 AM

Mini 9, 64GB Runcore, 2GB, Leopard, Virtualbox 3.0.8, external LiteOn DVD-RW w/independent power supply -

Trying to install Win XP in VM - after the "vt-x" hack (thanks a lot, joyork!!!), it started the install and proceeded normally until loading devices after reboot (when it says "35 minutes to go") - then it hangs.

Have waited a long time to see whether it would come back to life, have reset the VM and done it again, have deleted the VM and made a new one and started over; but every time I come to that point, it hangs. Good disc, used it to previously run XP on this same Mini. Also tried the install with an nLited version of this same disc with identical result.

Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Default 12-06-2009, 10:03 PM

I have the same specs as you... mini 9, 2GB, 64 runcore, leopard 10.5.8 and VirtualBox is currently working perfectly with the XP Home that came on the dell mini's restore disk.

Besides the vt-x problem for the initial configuration, I had a problem when I updated from VirtualBox 2.x to Virtual Box 3.0.
It gave me an Intel ppm driver error on boot.

I remember reading that this wasn't just an OSX host problem.

here's the fix for that...

"if you get an intelppm driver error on boot of Virtualbox.
Enter the following at the command prompt of windows while in safe mode

sc config intelppm start= disabled"

I originally installed 2.0 way back when, and incrementally updated until the current 3.0.12, as the new versions came out. So worst case you could try install version VirtualBox 2.0, install XP, then Update virtualbox to the current version.

Hope that helps.

os x, virtualbox, xp hang in virtualbox, xp install hangs

« Dell Mini 9 - $199 | Service Tag unreadable - Is it anywhere else? »