Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default SSD stutters - 10-12-2009, 02:35 AM

Hello, I work for a computer shop here in Americus, GA. I've been reviewing different netbooks to hopefully by 3 for me, my brother, and my gf around christmas time. I've been eyeing the 10v, and to my surprise one came in saturday for spyware. It has the Intel N270 Atom processor, 1GB Ram, XP Home, and the STEC 8GB mini-PCIe SSD drive with the JMicron 835 flash controller. We cannot get this system to run any scans. It will run for a minute to 5 on the scan then the application will freeze. This includes Malware Bytes, McAffe, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware. I installed DriveGleam to see what was happening and it appears that the SSD is just simply being completely overloaded. The same thing happens anytime the system is completely bogged down, like with an Office Install.

One thing I believe that is aiding the issue is the fact it came in with only 680MB of free space. From what I know about SSD's this is essentially causing it to have to erase as it goes, now that we cleaned it back to 2.1GB of free space.

Any solutions to this problem? I sure don't want to have this problem on my running scans once a month are part of my routine.

PS: Do those in your For Sale forum have a heatware or any mandatory reputation tracking system? I'm interested in some of those used mini's.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-12-2009, 03:10 AM

It seems from much reading about SSD and how they perform when they read, writes and then do random reads/writes and how full the ssd gets add on to the fragmentation of the ssd itself, with the little amount of drive space you have, I can see why the scan would stutter/freeze.

I suspect the SSD is having a slow (and hard time) getting to all the files to scan after all the ssd space is used up and a good majority of the ssd is fragmented.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old
Default 10-12-2009, 03:31 AM

its xp... its definitely not an SSD friendly OS.. it takes tons of tweaking (aligning partition, turning off stuff to minimize random writes, and tons more) to get it to play semi nice.

I would just suggest change over to windows 7... Im running windows 7 pro RTM on my mini 9 and my god its so much better than my super tweaked xp its not even funny.

BUT if you must stay with xp check out it will create a 32mb ram buffer for writing to your ssd and make things much smoother on xp.
  (#4) Old
Default 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The client won't do an OS upgrade because of $$$. We'll check out flashfire.

It was definitely my idea to go with Windows 7 on my own netbook. I can get it through my school for 30$ for Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
  (#5) Old
Default 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM

You'll want the 32-bit for the Mini 10v.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Default 10-13-2009, 02:47 PM

I was just wondering, but I'm not sure it will help:

Have you tried an online anti-virus/anti-malware scan? (Can it even go online I guess would be the question...?)

Housecall (which has a browser-independent scanner that can be downloaded... I'm not sure if it can be updated on 1 computer & brought to another with all the updates to use on another computer via a USB stick, though.... *** At least, I've never tried to do it....)

Trial of AppGuard (so that if it's infected, whatever it is can be blocked long enough for you to do something, if there's malware???)

Revo Uninstaller (?)

Dell Diagnostics (?)

(Those were the thoughts that came to mind....)

============Learning Devices============

« Reseting the BIOS or maybe reformating without usb | Unable to to access home network via Mini9 »