Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Cannot install any OS on Vostro a90 - 10-03-2009, 04:45 AM

I have a brand new Vostro a90 and was able to install Windows XP on the 8Gb ssd the unit shipped with. I ordered a Kingston HyperX 2GB memory module and a SuperTalent 16gb ssd, and have been unable to install an OS on the new SSD. It's been rather frustrating. I've tried Windows 7, Windows Vista, both from an external DVD drive and a USB flash drive. Most tries Windows will copy successfully and then constantly BSOD upon reboot. Usually IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, sometimes a memory protection BSOD. Also tried Mac OS X 10.6, both from USB and from the CD, it also kernel panics during the install. Now I'm trying Windows XP, the error message I'm getting are that files are not being copied correctly from the CD, and I should try another CD. This is the same CD I used to install on the 8GB ssd. Could the SSD be defective? Or the memory? Or both? I'm going to try to install Windows XP with the new ssd and original memory next.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 01:22 PM

You changed two things at once - put back the original memory and see if the problem remains. I have seen complaints of issues with both the HyperX RAM and, rarer, the ST SSD.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 10-05-2009, 04:22 AM

OK, I put the original memory back in and kept larger SSD. I was able to install Mac OS X 10.6 in one shot, and everything works except for audio. I need to test the Kingston memory to see if it might be defective or just incompatible with the A90.

« Saving SSD Space | .3 mp webcam? »