Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Going from Ubuntu Linux to Windows XP - 11-27-2008, 12:04 AM

I know this may be a very stupid question and may have been answered before but is it possible to go from Linux to Windows XP. I have the XP install discs and an external disc drive. I tried to boot from the external disc drive and got a blue screen. If it is possible to go from Linux to XP, how do you do it?. Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Going from Ubuntu Linux to Windows XP - 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM

I actually just did this last night!!! It is not hard at all. The only issue is if you use nLite to shrink your install file, you may find issues with installing software. It took me quite sometime to install Office 2007 as I kept getting an error that said it "could not update one or more protected files" Come to find out, that file was never there (fixed it, just copied it over). I am now downloading all of the updates from Microsoft. I found, in the end, I saved myself about $50 by getting a basic mini9 (Ubuntu, 512 ram) and then installing my own 2gb ram and XP.

I did my install via a USB flash drive as I did not purchase the CD Drive from Dell. PM me if you want the website with the directions on how to do it this way. After I was all, done, I see many applications for keeping an installable copy of XP on a flash drive.

« Dell support center icon - Stay or go | How quiet are the buttons? »