Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
08-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry, don't know. But you'd probably get more and better answers in the OS X forum.
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
08-16-2009, 11:16 PM
1) Install and configure OSX the way you want it with a SINGLE GUID Extended Journeled Partition using something like the guide here http://dellefi.mechdrew.com/guide/method1.shtml
2) Now Boot up using your USB Installer and use Disk Utility to make an image of your installed OSX to an external USB hard Drive.
3) Install Windows 7 or XP. During the install you get the option to partition the hard drive. No 200Mb EFI partition is needed. Create the first partition size what ever you want for Windows and format it as NTFS (this way OSX cant mess with it) and finish off the install to have a normally booting windows machine.
4) Once Windows is running use Disk Manager to create a second partition formated as FAT32.
5) Boot again off the USB Installer and go into Disk Utility. DONT delete the FAT32 partition, just erase it with an Extended Journeled format.
6) Use the restore function in Disk Utility to restore the Image you made earlier to your newly formated Journeled partition.
7) When the restore has finished quit Disk Utility and run terminal (we need to make the OSX partition Active) and enter the following commands.
fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0
p (should show all partitions)
f 2 (sets the second partition to active for booting)
w (write the changes)
q (quit the fdisk application)
8) Boot one last time on the USB installer. You should have 3 options Windows, Your OSX install and the USB Installer, select your OSX install. Once booted run the DellEFI 1.2a5 again and just select "Reinstall Chameleon 2.0RC1-r431 Bootloader", "Reinstall Dell Mini 9 Extensions" & "Hide DellEFI files"
9) You should now have a perfect Dual boot just remember to hit enter when you see the shrinking blue bar to then select Windows.
Advent 4211 | Black / Silver | MSI Bios | OS X 10.5.7 | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200RPM | Dell 1390 Wi-Fi | 0.3mP webcam | 6 Cell 5200mAh
Join Date: Mar 2009
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Join Date: May 2010
05-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Too bad this doesnt answer the original question posted on this thread.....Do you know how to install OSX without REINSTALLING Win7.
I would like to also do this on my 10v, but cant figure out how to get the bootloader replaced and the new partition recognized that I'll be putting OSX onto.
Any help appreciated, THX.
Inspiron 910 | OS 10.6.3 | 2 Gb | 32 Gb SSD
Inspiron 910 | Win 7 pro | 2Gb | 32 Gb SSD
Inspiron 1011 | OS 10.6.3 | 2 Gb | 80 Gb SSD
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.