Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Original Hackintoshers: How do we move to 'retail' Win 7? - 08-12-2009, 12:29 AM

I'm part of the first wave of dual boot (Win 7 and OSX) hackintoshers from March 2009 when the Mini 9 went on sale for $199.

Been loving this thing, it's gone w/ me to the Philippines and Canada and has performed like a charm.

I've used Win 7 mostly as an experiment and for 2 programs that only exist on Windows. I pulled my data off before the July 1 beta deadline for Win 7. Since then, I haven't fired up Win 7, mostly because I want to upgrade it only to the release version of Win 7.

I haven't followed much of the upgrade/setup threads, mostly because my OSX partition works fine.

What's the suggestion for loading up Win7 once the retail version is out and ready to buy? And yes, I will buy a retail copy to work on my Mini 9.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Why not update using the Release Candidate method. I would assume you d/l RC image to external DVD or usb then Install over the current windows partition using the change cversion.ini trick?

Windows 7 - Upgrade Beta To RC - To RTM Milestone ~ The Blade by Ron Schenone MVP

I haven't done it on a dual boot Mini, but I upgraded my desktop with that method. I hear that you can do this with the Retail version, but not sure. Will this mess up your OSX install?, I am not sure.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-12-2009, 12:31 PM

I have also installed the Windows 7 RC on my desktop computer with no problems. what size SSD do you have in your mini 9? I have seen viedos of people booting off external drives into windows7, maybe you could do that

Dell Mini 9: Alpine White, 16GB SSD, Webcam, Bluetooth, BIOS A05

Upgrades : 2GB RAM, OS X

« A Few Questions About The Mini 9 Before I Commit | No matter what I do, I can't install XP »