Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 Reformatting issues - 08-07-2009, 03:06 PM

I got my hands on a fairly new Dell Mini 9 from my mother-in-law she has all the CD's that came with the machine including the OS reinstall disk. I thought I might be able to network my desktops DVD drive in order to boot from and reformat the computer.

The mini doesnt seem to recognize the networked drive. Is this even possible? Does anyone have any suggestions for someone that doesnt have a USB thumbdrive or a USB CD rom? Or am I going to be stuck into getting some external device?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Since you don't have any means to boot the install CD nor own any thumb drives, if it's new, why bother reinstalling the OS?

You can network your desktop cd drive to share and access the cd, but how were you planning on booting the mini from a network drive? You can build a image server and network boot the mini.

Or buy a usb-ide-sata adapter and pull your desktop internal optical drive and use it externally.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-07-2009, 05:55 PM

It's new(ish), but my mother-in-law is notorious for jacking up computers with viruses. I just went out and got a flash drive, have the OS reinstalling now. Thanks.

« Trying to install xp with an ide to usb converter. | video port not working »