Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Trying to install xp with an ide to usb converter. - 08-07-2009, 05:07 AM

i have one of these - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

i have used it with my other dell laptops without any problems.
but the mini 9 doesn't seem to recognize it. on my inspiron 1501 i
can boot from it but not the mini. Is there something i have to
enable to make it work. and how do i get ubuntu to recognize it too.

(#2) Old
Default 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM

if you are trying to bbot from it, go into the BIOS setup (hit the 2 key on startup) and under the boot area you need to disable the hard drive/ssd option. then save and exit. upon restart, hit the zero "0" key and simply select the external drive option (NOT the cd/dvd one)...that should do the trick
this doeesn't disable your ssd mind you, but it tells the system not to go there for the boot option. then when you want your ssd to be the boot drive again, just go back into the BIOS, re-activate it from the boot options, save settings, and viola!

fyi, I tried this method to attempt to install an nLited xp, and my external drive was detected maybe once out of ten attemps. however, many other people could boot from external drives, so it was probably just my hardware, and in the end I made a bootable usb flash drive

good luck!
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 08-07-2009, 02:31 PM

I've noticed when using external USB to SATA/PATA adapters is that some drives just don't work with them. I have three external drives sitting in my desk drawer at work, and it will not boot off one of them (but the drive works fine internally in any PC I put it into.)

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old
Default 08-07-2009, 03:03 PM

I use one similar with a old ide dvd reader. I set the drive to MASTER. Sometimes it takes a reboot before the mini sees that I have the drive attached.

« ordering from dell | Dell Mini 9 Reformatting issues »