Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Question Ghost 11.5 restore of OSX 10.5.7 not booting - 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM

I had an issue with my Mini9 where the screen would turn bright white when powersave mode was kicking in. This turned out to be OS agnostic and happend in XP, OSX and Ubuntu. So I had to send it back for repair (which they did). The dumb-ass Dell rep told me I had to format the HD from Hackintosh OSX to factory XP before shipping. I was quite annoyed to read the paper instructions in the box they sent me that said to simply REMOVE the HD prior to sending back!

Anyways, I ghosted (11.5) the entire DISK to a USB HD image prior to sending.

I just recieved the Mini9 back tonight and restored the .gho file to the DISK. However it won't boot. It says "Operating System not found". If I boot up ghost or other utilities, I can clearly see there are two partitions (one 200MB EFI and the other HFS+).

What gives? What do I need to do (step by step -- I'm a newb with Hackintosh) to get this to boot, short of re-installing from scratch.

Shouldn't ghost have created a bit:bit copy of the drive? It took freaking 9 hours to complete and made a 30GB file (I have the 32GB SSD drive). Seems odd that I'd have to do anything else when I've restored XP images and Linux images from ghost to various computers over the years without any problem. It's my main way of backing up all my 7 notebooks and 4 desktop computers.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM

The EFI partition is where the instructions for your Hackintosh bootloader should be. This partition is created whenever OS X is installed on a system, but never utilized in a normal install. DellEFI installs a bootloader and custom kexts to boot the system there.

Cloning an OS X never clones this partition, as it is normally empty. You need to make a USB thumb drive with the Bootloader and DellEFI on it to boot up your system and re-rum DellEFI to finalize your restore.

Follow this guide to make a bootable USB drive to restore your mini, do the Windows instructions, as you mini has OS X installed already.
Guide Old Method 1 | DellEFI | mechdrew

Read more about making and restoring OS X back ups here.

Guide Advanced 1: Backup and Restore Installations | DellEFI | mechdrew

Ghost is a great piece of software, but it is not the best for OS X, as it takes forever. I would use Carbon Copy Cloner in the future, as it only takes an hour or so to preform the same task.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM

boot, ghost, osx, restore

« windows 7 install almost 7gb of hdd space | Tiny XP on the mini 9 »