Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Finally getting Ubuntu 9.04 UNR to a satisfactory state - 08-02-2009, 11:41 PM

I bought a Dell Mini 9 wanting an ultra portable laptop and Internet machine.

I chose one with Ubuntu 8.04 but I found that version it to be unsatisfactory. I upgraded it to 9.04 and proceeded. (I didn't want Windows and chose the Mini 9 because MacOSX could be installed on it if necessary.)

Firefox 3 and Open Office 3 are available via the 9.04 repository and they work just fine. From that repository I installed KAddress, KOrganizer and KMail and found them to be the best of a mostly mediocre lot of programs for a calendar, address book and mail client.

In the case of KAddress and KOrganizer they seemed to be the only programs that would accept exported files from my Mac's address book and calendar. I was initially stopped by a bug in each of them. Those bugs have been fixed and the repaired programs made available via new Software Sources. Those weren't easy to find. Now I've got them working and populated with my data.

I think that those five programs plus Text Editor provide what I need when on short trips or when making presentations (for which I use OpenOffice Impress).

Only one problem remains as far as I can tell. That is, that in some cases the programs expect a screen size of 1024X768 and the bottom of some windows is not visible. It has not be a major problem so far.

That is my experience so far. Hopefully the information is useful to someone.

« Windows 7 vs XP on Mini 9 | can't install nlited xp »