Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 - 8 GB SSD - Win XP OEM install - VERY Sluggish performance - Help!! - 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM

I received my Dell mini 9 8 GB SSD - 1 GB RAM - Win XP with WWAN last week from Dell outlet UK. Having used it for a week, I noticed that the performance is very sluggish with the default Win XP install which comes with it.

IE takes a bit to open and if I am using around 3 to 4 applications simultaneously, then the applications switch from one to another takes ages. I tried to used sky player on my mini 9 and the video playback is also very sluggish and choppy.

Overall I am not very impressed, even though it is lightweight and looks good, the performance is very sluggish. I also have a Acer aspire one with 160 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM with linpus lite and the acer perfoms far better than the mini 9.

Can someone tell me that is it me only who is having such problems or is this a common problem with the 8 GB SSD ones which have the default Win XP install from dell.

If I move to nLite or vLite will this solve the problem or will the problem still persist because of the sluggish 8 GB SSD?

Someone on another forum did warn about the sluggishness ofthe 8 GB SSD, but I didn't pay much attention to it and now I am repenting. Thinking of calling Dell tech support.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM

I have a couple thoughts.

Make sure that virtual memory is disabled. Virtual memory increases disk I/O, and disk I/O is frequently the bottleneck on the Mini 9. I also configure Firefox to reduce disk I/O, I dunno what's possible in IE.

Flash video playback doesn't work well on the slow CPU, but real video playback software works better.

I've been happy with my Mini 9's performance. For web browsing, the difference between my Mini 9 and my "real" computer is slight.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« New to the Game | wifi speed/connection »