Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 refuses to boot to USB/removable drive - 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM

This is driving me insane. I have a dual boot setup of Win7 and OSX on my mini 9 with the A05 BIOS and a 64GB runcore SSD. When I initially installed the 2 OSs I used a DVD-RW drive hooked up with an IDE to USB adapter. I had issues at times getting the mini to boot to the drive then but it seemed to help if I disabled all boot options except the DVD drive.

The problem is, I was experimenting with options in the Windows bootloader and now I automatically boot to the OSX partition everytime. This should be a simple fix, I should be able to boot to Windows 7 install media and let it auto fix the bootloader. I didn't want to pull the DVD-RW drive out of the PC I have it in now, so I decided to make a bootable USB drive.

I used both the HP format utility method and the Unetbootin method. Both produced a drive that is bootable by multiple desktop PCs. I also have used both methods on a kingston 8gb DataTraveler and a Transcend 16GB SDHC card in a USB adapter. Desktop PCs boot to either of them fine. My Mini refuses to boot from them. Even when I disable every option in the BIOS other than USB Storage and Removable Devices. When I enter the boot option menu the only available selection is Removable Devices. Selecting that option produces "Operating System not Found" I would be eternally greatful if someone can help me get this POS to boot to my functional USB drives. Thanks for your time.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 12:27 AM

I'll just note that "Removable Devices" does not seem to be meaningful on the Mini. It sounds like, for some reason, the Mini is not "seeing" the USB flash drive.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 01:03 AM

Try another USB port. I get this problem sometimes and I just keep switching ports until the Mini sees the device. Not sure why it happens though.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP
  (#4) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 03:14 AM

Forgot to mention that I tried all 3 ports.

« External monitor - XP | Mac OSX screen resolution solution »