Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Exclamation **HUGE PROBLEM** Mini 9 Virus, Won't Boot into XP! - 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM

So my girlfriends mini 9 will start up, go to the logon screen, but when I click the username it loads, the wallpaper comes up and then it automatically logs me off. It also does this in safe mode, but in safe mode an admin account is visible, but both reg. and admin account start to log in but immediately log off. I don't need any of the files or documents on this laptop, I would be perfectly fine with a fresh install. I actually want to put OSX on this machine and use it as mine, and just give her mine mini 9. I bought an 8gb USB Flash Drive, and put a iATKOS .iso on it and tried to boot via usb but that didn't work. So I went and bought a USB DVD Burner, and burnt a dvd. But I can't install the drivers on the laptop because I can't boot!!! so it doesn't even see the dvd drive..

Does anyone have any ideas???

Please help!!
  (#2) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Hmm. The XP issue shouldn't affect your ability to boot to a USB drive (either flash or DVD.) I would think it's worth trying again with a different bootable OS on the flash drive. (And I know zero about OS X, but I don't think just putting an ISO on a flash drive will work...although perhaps there is a way to make the drive bootable, and then the ISO will work...)

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old
Default 07-15-2009, 06:40 PM

If you think it's a virus....just hit f8 repeatedly after you get the bios screen and boot to a dos prompt and get a antivirus and run it like usual. I really like AVAST I find it will take off a lot of crap that other free stuff or paid stuff will not.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-22-2009, 01:12 AM

try plugging it into another usb port on the mini 9, (some have more power juice than others) and or, while it is plugged in, open and close the drive door with the dvd in. Sometimes the mini 9 doesn't see the external drive immediately.

The drivers should not be an issue. I' ve loaded OSX via an external DVD drive on the mini 9 following the methods on this website and it worked just fine.
  (#5) Old
Default 07-25-2009, 11:51 PM

The reason it is logging you on and then instantly off is because userinit.exe is most likely corrupt from a virus. Boot up with a Linux live cd or similar and copy the files over from a good copy.

« Keyboard Issues | Ordering Mini 9 right now, Question? »