Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-02-2008, 10:04 PM

I have setup my Mini to connect to the internet via Bluetooth with my Blackberry Bold. The following instructions should work for most phones with Bluetooth. Also, your Mini must have Bluetooth.

Set up Internet APN.

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.

2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.

3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.

4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.

5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, Click the Advanced Tab.

6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"

(remove<>when typing in your APN)

Example for AT&T; +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"
Example for T-mobile US; at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
I have listed some Wireless Carriers and their APNs at the end of this post.

7. Click OK.

8. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

ATT/Cingular Settings

APN: wap.cingular

user name for APN: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

Password: CINGULAR1

This is how I found my settings on my BB Curve - Options>Advanced Options>TCP. The APN will say, for example, wap.cingular

Step 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.

Windows XP Operating System

1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.

2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.

3. Click Next.

4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.

5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.

6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.

7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.

8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.

9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.

10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.

11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.

12. Click Finish.

13. In the Connect window, click Properties.

14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.

15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.

16. In the Properties window, click OK.

AT&T
Gateway IP: 10.250.250.250
Port: 9201
APN: proxy

Bell Mobility
Gateway IP: 207.236.197.199
Port: 9203
APN: internet.com

Cincinnati Bell
Gateway IP: 216.68.79.199
APN: wap.gocbw.com
username: cbw

Cingular (modem compatible)
Gateway IP: ?
Port: ?
APN: isp.cingular
Username: [email address]

Cingular
APN: wap.cingular
Username: [email address]

Cingular
Gateway IP: 66.209.11.61
Port: 9203
APN: blackberry.net

Dobson
APN: cellular1wap

O2 (Germany)
Gateway IP: 195.182.114.52
APN: wap.viaginterkorn.de

O2 (Holland)
Gateway IP: 193.113.200.195
APN: internet

O2 (Ireland)
Gateway IP: 192.168.90.74
APN: wap.dol.ie
username: gprs
password: gprs

O2 (UK)
Gateway IP: 192.113.200.195
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
username: o2wap
password: password

Rogers
Gateway IP: 208.200.67.150

T-Mobile (UK) 1
Gateway IP: 149.254.1.10
APN: general.t-mobile.uk

T-Mobile (UK) 2
Gateway IP: 140.254.1.0

T-Mobile (Germany)
Gateway IP: 193.254.160.2
APN: wap.t-dl.de

T-Mobile (US)
Gateway IP: 216.155.165.50
APN: wap.voicestream.com

T-Mobile (US)
APN: internet2.voicestream.com

Telcel
APN: internet.itelcel.com
Username: webgprs
Password: webgrps2002

Telefonica Movil
Gateway IP: 192.168.80.21
APN wap.movistar.es

Telstra
Gateway IP: 10.1.1.150
APN: telstra.internet

TIM (Italy)
Gateway IP: 213.26.205.1
APN: wap.tim.it

Verizon Alternate
Gateway IP: 12.168.70.74

Verizon
Gateway IP: 153.114.115.100
Port 9203

Vodafone (NL)
Gateway IP: 192.168.251.150
APN: blackberry.vodafone.nl
username: vodafone
Password: vodafone

Vodafone (Spain)
Gateway IP: 212.73.32.10
APN: airtelwap.es
username: wap@wap
password: wap125

Vodafone (UK)
Gateway IP: 212.183.137.12
APN: wap.vodafone.uk
username: [email address]
password: user

My Dell Mini 9
Black / BIOS A05 / Dual Booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.0 / 1.3MP Webcam / US-INTL Keyboard U061H
Extras:
16GB SDHC
Sleeve
External Drive
Skin
Buffalo MicroSD USB Memory Stick w/8GB MicroSD
  (#2) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-04-2008, 06:47 AM

I don't have a standard modem as described in step 4, also what information am I supposed to use for step 11 in dialup networking....

The instructions are a little confusing...
  (#3) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Try enabling dial up networking in the Bluetooth configuration in the Control panel. You then should have Bluetooth modem as an option, pick this instead od standard modem.

Also, step 11, I have listed all the username/passwords for all the service providers. Who is your cell phone service provider?

I will try to revise the instructions and maybe include some screenshots. Here's one with some of my settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb.JPG (53.2 KB, 4875 views)

My Dell Mini 9
Black / BIOS A05 / Dual Booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.0 / 1.3MP Webcam / US-INTL Keyboard U061H
Extras:
16GB SDHC
Sleeve
External Drive
Skin
  (#4) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-04-2008, 05:44 PM

I understand what you are saying now, at least for those two parts.

I wasn't able to get it to work though, for something like this the most explicit instructions possible, along with screen shots would be best.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-04-2008, 11:30 PM

A lot of Windows Mobile phones support both modem mode and the Internet Sharing program. If you have one that supports the "Internet Sharing" program, it's the way to go. Look for inetshrui.exe on in the WinMo phone's Windows folder. Once you start it up, you can share the phone's connection over USB or Bluetooth PAN.

When shared over USB, your computer will detect the phone as USB network adapter and think it is connected to an ethernet network, no special configuration needed. Connecting via the Bluetooth PAN works like any other PAN connection.

The best part about Internet Sharing is that it lets both your phone and computer use the network simultaneously. When using the phone in modem mode the computer has an essentially direct control of the data connection on the phone and this prevents the phone from using data connections, taking or receiving calls, and in some cases, even charging. When using Internet Sharing none of these problems happen because the phone retains control of the data connection. It acts as a router, providing the attached computer with an IP address via DHCP and routing traffic appropriately.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-05-2008, 01:17 AM

I'd guess my phone won't work this easily with the Mini9, all of the instuctions I've read to get an iPhone working in this manner are a lot more complicated, but I guess it works well with the Blackberry.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

For those of you on the T-mobile US network, you'll need a slight tweek within "Standard Modem Properties" ...

Under the Advanced tab within "Extra initialization commands:" the correct deets are:
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

I get just over 115kbps...not bad in a pinch.
Good Luck!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Excellent. Glad I could help and thanks for the T-mobile update. I get the exact same speed when connected. Reminds me of the dialup days. :roll:

My Dell Mini 9
Extras:
16GB SDHC
Sleeve
External Drive
Skin
  (#9) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Apple iPhone users will have to jailbreak there iPhones to allow internet sharing as apple have removed and forbidden internet sharing applications on the AppStore. One was created but two days later removed as your contract does not allow for the internet to be used on any device but the iPhone.

Nokia users can use the method posted, or install Nokia PC Suite and connect to the phone via bluetooth and select "Connect to the Internet" and the PC Suite will automatically connect to GPRS/3G and give you a connection on your PC. (I do this, as I already installed the PC Suite to type and send texts easily).

Nimrod
  (#10) Old

Default Re: How to tether your cell phone to the Mini via Bluetooth - 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM

These instructions were a mixed bag for me. I'm on Verizon and I put in the "Extra initialization commands" and the phone wouldn't connect. When I removed those everything worked fine. What are the "Extra initialization commands" supposed to do for me anyway?

The Verizon username/password thing was a big help as Verizon doesn't really tell you what to enter. They want you to download some application and use that to set up the computer for tethering.

« mydigitaldiscount.com customer support sucks | Accept bottons off screen WinXP »