Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default New Mini 12 - Cleaning up Windows XP - 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM

I just got my Mini 12 with XP home. Looks like there's lots of extra software installed by default. What is safe to uninstall?
Norton? probably OK
MS Works? Probably OK, i'll install MS office or OO.o
What about some of the Dell stuff, like Dell support or whatever. Can I safely remove that?
I'd hate to remove something critical, but it seems like there's lots of stuff I don't need. Also, lots of stuff in startup that ends up in the system tray. I'd like to clean that up, too, to improve start-up time if possible.
Anybody else done this?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via ICQ to ptdmini12 Send a message via MSN to ptdmini12 Send a message via Yahoo to ptdmini12
Default 06-02-2009, 08:54 PM

yesir. Got rid of norton the day I got mine, switched to avira... way better. Id get rid of all the clutter ie. works, and programs you think your not going to use. leave the dell system restore (simply because it is nice to have. in case anything happens to cause your computer to start acting like a retarded walrus). Dell system restore is whats eating up most of the space, gots its own 9 gig partition.
when you get done removing the clutter you should have: volume, avira, networkstatus, bluetooth, powermoniter, and the bluetooth/wireless swith ap in the system tray. tis the minimum.. Oh, get rid of Internet explorer, go with firefox.

Atom Z520@1.33 | Windows 7100

« Mini 12 as a Media Server | Fullscreen in games »