Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default *Really* bad Mini 12 Ubuntu Experience - 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Hey all,

I bought a Mini 12 pre-installed with Ubuntu on 2/15/09. The device arrived in a reasonable time, booted fine, found wireless networks fine. However, certain keys in the lower right side of the keyboard (/, left-arrow, shift, ctrl, period, and comma) would cause the context menu to pop (as if I right clicked).

After rebooting, the machine booted into the desktop with no issues, but would not recognize mouse or keyboard input.

After rebooting a few more times, the mouse and keyboard were recognized (with the same context menu problems). So I called technical support and they shipped out a replacement (not new) keyboard (actually, they shipped two separate keyboards). I put the new keyboard in, and have the same issues (flaky keyboard, or no keyboard/mouse).

On a successful boot, I turn off gdm to boot to a non-gui login to see if it's X. Same issue. I figure 3 out of 4 boots resulted in no input.

I F2'd into the Bios a few times, but I always had keyboard input in there.

I get back on the phone with technical support and relay this information. The guy tells me it's an Operating System problem, as the keyboard is recognized in Bios, but not in Linux.

So I'm returning the device for a refund, no restocking fee. Incidentally, a subsequent call to Returns to find out where my shipping labels are results in someone telling me I will need to pay a restocking fee. That /really/ pissed me off. Frickin thing is defective out of the box.

Anyway, I wanted to relay my experience with this device. I'm sure there are many of you who have had success with this thing, but I did not have good luck with it. At all.

(#2) Old
Default Re: *Really* bad Mini 12 Ubuntu Experience - 04-07-2009, 02:24 AM

I just got a Ubuntu Dell Mini 12 from the Dell Outlet a week ago and I'm seeing some similar problems. 1 out of every 4 boots come to the desktop and neither the mouse, nor the touch pad respond, so I have to reboot. I'm having similar context menu issues with some of the same keys. In addition, when I type text very fast, it sometimes jumps up into the middle of a line above it. I tried some things with the Keyboard settings, but nothing I've found so far seems to help. I'll have to call Dell as well. Besides these problems, I really like the little thing!
  (#3) Old
Default Re: *Really* bad Mini 12 Ubuntu Experience - 04-11-2009, 01:40 PM

An update: I contacted Dell Tech Support and they had me reload the operating system, then apply the updates. This seems to have corrected all the problems I listed in the previous post. When suspended, it now wakes up in ~20 secs, no more 'sometimes' frozen keyboard/trackpad at startup. I'm still getting some context message pop ups, but that now appears to be me hitting the space bar without realizing. The jumping of the keys to a different position also seems to have gone away...although I'm not 100% sure on that one. If I'm keeping my fingers more vertical, I'm getting better results.
  (#4) Old
Default 11-02-2009, 12:08 AM

anyway of having you all create an iso of your reinstall disk and upload it?
  (#5) Old
Default 12-16-2009, 06:22 AM

Dell was correct in telling you that it was a software issue. If the kbd worked fine in the bios then that's definitely a software issue. Granted they, or you, could have done a little more, like running the dell diagnostics on the system, you can test every key on the kbd in the diagnostics.. its the best way to reiterate that it's indeed a software issue.

And on the note of software issues in Linux, namely Ubuntu. Dell Tech Support does not give software support for Ubuntu.. or rather, the resolution to all software issues is an OSRI (Operating System Re-Installation).. and if you don't like that suggestion, then your other option is to call the 3rd party that does handle those types of issues, they're called: Canonical. It's a pay-for help line.

Dell can help you troubleshoot hardware issues all day.. but as far as software goes, you can forget it (for Linux).

Dell ProSupport Technician 2004-Present
  (#6) Old
Default 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aerax View Post
Don't bother. This thread was resurrected from the dead, and neither of the main posters have been here in months.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Dell Mini 12 $299 w/ Free Shipping | Installed Runcore Pro IV64GB SSD »