Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default Anxiously awaiting my mini... WWAN & XP questions - 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM

Bought a mini last week during the president's day sale with all of the upgrades (or so I thought?) except for an extended warranty for $452 after tax & shipping. Absolutely excited.

The excitement died when I learned about how long it would take to ship... I'm expected to receive it next Monday! Maybe that would be okay, if I wasn't leaving for Lima the following Friday night for a three and a half week research trip, in which I need to bring the laptop!

Anyway, I checked my status to see when it would ship, and I noticed that the order status listed "430-3259, No WWAN Option, Inspiron" and "313-7418, Non-WWAN Base in Black", though my confirmation e-mail said "WWAN -- Base LCD Assembly in Black -- [313-7418]." I called and was forwarded to four different people over two hours about the problem.

I've been looking on these mini 12 forums about the WWAN and it seems that some minis don't come with the WWAN antenna/slot, and that you busy guys have been soldering the pieces on. I don't want to not have WWAN when I was told I'd get it, and end up paying an extra $50-$100 for a usb WWAN modem. I also don't want to get the computer this or next week, discover it doesn't have it, and not be able to take it with me to Peru.

The rep that I talked to said that he confirmed that all mini 12s come with WWAN--is that true? Is there something I should know? I'm starting to fret.

Also: I'm going to be installing my own copy of XP Pro on the computer before I leave--another reason that I want to have the computer well before I leave for Peru--and I wanted to ask if anyone has had any success installing it from a flash drive, or if I should find a friend with an external optical drive to install it. Yikes.

Will look forward to posting pictures with the beautiful computer... if it arrives as expected! Cross your fingers

« Dell Mini 12 Boot Times | Youtube not smooth. XP »