Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default Have Vista want to install Linux OS - 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Need advice how to install Ubuntu or Fedora on mini that has Vista on it. Tried WUBI but X server would not start. Can someone point me in the right direction? Help greatly appreciated.. rickcama
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Have Vista want to install Linux OS - 02-09-2009, 05:20 AM

Hi rickama,
My Ubuntu Netbook Remix is doing great with me.
I did not enabled 3D accelaration, since I don't play 3D game or use Compiz on this netbook.
What I do is write laboratory notebook, do literature search, watch youtube, listen to music, and do some online shopping. I have no problem with UNR.

Sorry, but I am posting samething again and again.

This is what you can do (and what I did).

Download UNR iso image file from wiki site. Then burn it as a image on blank DVD.

Since the mini 12 does not have any optical drive, you need external DVD drive to install UNR.

Instruction for running UNR on mini12 by CrazyDesi,

This is original instruction from CrazyDesi,
If anyone is wondering, there are two main ways of setting up the UNR. The most functional way is downloading UNR. It will be dreadfully slow when you start. I mean DREADFUL. Do not worry this is what is suppose to happen. After you download it, switch desktop modes in preferences or administration(I forgot which one).

Now you should have a functional UNR working, but its still going to be a little slow. Go to Session properties in the System Menu and disable maximus and the launcher from starting on bootup. Finally, download the xserver-xorg-video-psb from synaptic(I dont think there is a menu you have to go into terminal and type sudo synaptic).

After that, I was able to get it working fairly well. Some people on the Ubuntu Forums claimed that they have 1080p video with only 17 percent CPU usage. I did not have any High Definition videos to test it out on, but I was able to play normal videos without a hitch. I also downloaded powertop to get some more usage out of the machine while it is on battery.

Hope this helps for anyone trying to get it to work faster.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-2.png (236.7 KB, 33 views)
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to atrix415
Default Re: Have Vista want to install Linux OS - 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM

The only way I see is get a bootable linux distribution (ubuntu) is what everyone is using. They have ton of other distributions. Or I prefer make a bootable version of ubuntu to USB flash drive and off boot USB drive. (READ ubuntu forums) then re-partition the drives. Used either windows loader (if work) or Grub4dos for bootloader.

More info, ... -mini.html
google Install ubuntu Dell Mini

« Youtube not smooth. XP | Fixing Boot Partition Vista »