Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#21) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by enordber

I had the same issue w/ dwm.exe crashing (as well as remote desktop). The problem is that Dell's support only provides an older version of the Integrated graphics driver (igdumd32.dll?) and there's some bug in there. I backed up the old one (renamed to igdumd32.dll.bak in \Windows\System32) and replaced it with the newer version and voila - dwm.exe doesn't crash on startup and remote desktop now works too (doesn't crash on running).

I tried the registry hack that seemed to work w/ Windows Vista but to no avail (Mark Wilson wrote about this on Gizmodo). Aero is unavailable. Anyone know how to get transparency working (seeing as how it should - Dell Mini 12 supports DX9 which is to my knowledge the only requirement needed for Aero)?

Cheers, chaps.

where did you get the newer version? o_O cause i can't seem to find it :P

[Current] Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T-6937 1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo CULV, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, XP Home
[Previouslyl] Dell Mini 12 - 1.33GHZ Atom, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, XP home/Windows 7
  (#22) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 03-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Just did a google search for igdumd32.dll download. The first link gave me an updated version of the file and it works great. No more error when I load Windows 7. Thanks for the tip.
  (#23) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Has anyone had success with playing HD Video using the GMA 500 Drivers and Intel Media Codecs?
  (#24) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 04-07-2009, 02:56 AM

Windows 7 minimum requirements (and we all know how well MS operating systems run with minimum requirements) is 1GB RAM and 128MB video RAM. Those minimums are the Mini 12's maximums!!

It seems inconceivable that Windows 7 would really do much of anything on a 1GB Mini 12. Unfortunately, you're all stuck with 1GB. HD video and AERO seem like a pipe dream under Windows 7 without more RAM and faster hard drives for pagefiles/VM/etc....
  (#25) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 04-09-2009, 06:37 AM

I'm running Win 7 with Aero right now, on a Mini 12 1.33Ghz. I can playback 720p h.264 ROCKSOLID in XP using the cyberlink codec. If the hardware can handle it then it's possible on Windows 7.

I had heard that Win 7 was going to feature some kind of universal codec structure where the OS will control how media is played regardless of the player. That sounds great if they get the right codecs in place like the cyberlink one in XP. I just don't have too much faith in MS handling the codecs, but who knows, right?

If there's one thing that Intel does right, the main thing that keeps x86 in the game, is that they can patch the hell out of an architecture (MMX, SSE 1/2/3/4/4.1/4.2, IA-64, you name it) It's not about raw power anymore, they know that most user's don't ever use all that. Just make the things they use fast.

People keep mentioning the 1gb ram in the DELL Mini 12. I don't find this a big issue, I run a Mac Min 1.83 w/ 1GB RAM, it plays back HD videos and does whatever other tasks I need. I've even used it for HD video editing before. Sure I would like to have the option to upgrade but for now and knowing it CAN handle HD video 1GB is fine. Perhaps in the future, Intel will sell the 2Ghz Atom Daughtercard w/ 2GB RAM for like $99. Maybe PC software makers need to take a hint from Apple, focus on efficient optimized software. Until then....
  (#26) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 04-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Looking at the first post who got 4.4 and 2.5 on the WEI for graphics I am not getting even close to that. On gaming i am at 2.4 but on performance for aero i am at 2.9 which is a far cry from 4.4

I know some other people here have said they still cant do aero either. Anyone know how he is able to get the higher rating? I really could care less if I can or can't have aero but am curious how he is getting that high of a rating?
  (#27) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 04-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Intel GMA500 = PowerVR SGX 535

For some bizarre reason Intel instead of going through PowerVR contracted out the drivers to a third party company who did a pretty crappy job for the Windows and Linux versions, that company was then sold to another.

The GMA500 has the actual hardware to decode HD streams for H.264/VC-1/MPEG2 but the crappy software drivers just don't seem to work right.

Playing back HD video under Windows 7 is entirely dependent on the quality of the drivers & if they implement DXVA 2.0 properly. Also not all H.264 videos are compatible with DXVA (though this may have changed with x264 encoders) depending on how they were encoded so there is also that to take into consideration.
  (#28) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM

out mini 12 runs 7 just fine, it does have an odd issue of coming back from sleep mode with a black screen...moving the cursor around seems to fix it.

i think issues i am having is due to the fact it was a vista upgrade...not a fresh install.

so that is my next step....fresh install of 7100 build....i'll try and check back here to let you know how it went.

Wife's: Dell Mini 12/60gb/1.3mp webcam/BT/Windows 7 RC
  (#29) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta on mini 12 - 05-01-2009, 08:07 PM

I have a clean install on 7100 and I am having issues with a black screen as well. Moving the cursor over the screen makes whatever the cursor is over appear, but that's about it.

« Sleeve for Mini 12 | Processor Option – 1.33 and 1.6 – are they both fanless? »