Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default New Mini 12: Great, but some questions... - 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Hello all,

I have had my Mini 12 for a few weeks now and i love the lightweight and thin design, but somethings I do not like and am not sure how to change them.

I am currently runnin Ubuntu 10.04. I have always been a windows person, which is why I have no clue what I am doing...

My graphics are kinda sucky...ok they blow! I have tried to update the driver, but i have had no luck with it...
It also needs a RAM upgrade super bad. I know that you can not swap out modules and i know there are a few shortcuts out there, but I am not sure which one would be best.

I guess I am in desperate need of a point in the right direction....Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Ubuntu is known to be a bit sucky with the GMA chipset. It is possible to install Windows on netbooks, providing you have enough USB sticks Or if you actually have access to an external CD ROm drive that's even easier.

Here is the official Microsoft guide to installing Windows 7 on a netbook.

Just moved your thread to the Mini 12 section so hopefully you'll get a better response!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-26-2010, 12:40 AM

Yes, Linux support isn't great for the GMA500 graphics in the Mini 12. Info about the GMA500 and Ubuntu.

I think the Mini 12 cannot have it's RAM upgraded.

So, I'd guess the best performance upgrade for a Mini 12 would be an SSD, but the Mini 12 uses a unusual size of drive (iPod-like). Also, I'm not sure if the Mini 12 can take advantage of fast drives (the old Mini 10 has poor IO performance, it's possible that the Mini 12 is similar).

I hope you enjoy your Mini.

Also, you're sure it's a Mini 12? 'Cause they're pretty rare, especially with Linux.

Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
Ubuntu is known to be a bit sucky with the GMA chipset.
Make sure you specify GMA500. Most GMA graphics cores work well in Ubuntu and other Linux distros.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Windows FLP is a good alternative for mini 12 | Weird problem starting up »