Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default Installed Runcore Pro IV64GB SSD - 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM

I installed the Runcore Pro IV 64GB earlier today in my Mini 12, and what a different computer I got, the increase in speed is amazing.

Disk performance comparison attached.
Attached Thumbnails
original.png   runcoressd.jpg  
  (#2) Old
Default 12-23-2009, 02:53 AM

The seek time performance is the key factor as those of us familiar with how this progressed from tape to floppy to hard disk to now solid state drive know. Opening files can make all the difference in critical tasks and the cloud-based operation of a netbook as a terminal device certainly falls into this range.

I am still troubled by the big companies (Microsoft/Intel) not speccing netbook systems otob with SSD drives. This diminishes the power of these systems greatly and leaves people with a false impression of what really makes a computer fast. Consumers have had to deal with this smoke and mirrors attempt at selling supposedly faster hardware solutions for years... large amounts of DRAM in the early 1990s comes to mind. Computational speed is not going to impact computing efficiency in the future, seek time will. "Speed" vs. latency of asynchronous connections also comes to mind. Even "megapixels" vs. optical clarity. When will hardware manufacturers start producing a best-of-breed product out of the box? I am not sure.

Dell at least threw us a bone with these 12" computers. It seems Asus has followed suit with the 1210 and to some degree the ULV 12" computers although they cost $750 for a SSD configuration. I hope someday one won't have to understand bits and bytes to get a cheap and fast computing experience.

« *Really* bad Mini 12 Ubuntu Experience | Dell Mini 12 with RunCore 32GB SSD experience »