Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu Mini 12 to Windows Help - 10-14-2009, 03:57 AM

I bought my Mini 12 with Ubuntu 8.04. After 6mos of using it, I've come to the conclusion that Linux is not for me. I have way too much trouble switching back and forth from WiFi to ethernet when bouncing around between various locations. Most updates I try to install fail, and I can't get Skype to work. I've been using Macs for the last few years and haven't been hands-on with Windows since XP.

Can anyone tell me what my options for Windows are? I've read that other Mini users are running Windows 7 RC. Is that a free download? Where would I get it?

I only have a USB stick - no external CD or DVD drive available. The only Windows install disk I have is a Dell OEM XP cd that can only be used on Dells (didn't get this with my Mini 12).

Since this Mini came with Ubuntu, I don't have any of the Mini 12 specific drivers I'll need for a Windows install. Where can I get these?

Do I need to do anything in the bios to make the machine USB bootable?

I would PREFER to use XP, as I don't want to deal with Win 7 RC expirations and I don't want to have to buy anything. All I need my Mini for is surfing, email, and Skype, so XP will be fine for me (at least I think it will).

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help. I'm not as much of a noob as I probably sound, just haven't had much time to keep up with things over the last few years, and haven't found any threads here that answer my specific questions - mainly, how to switch to Windows without having any of the Dell OEM Windows disks and drivers.

(#2) Old
Default 10-17-2009, 05:10 AM

Sorry, I am not sure about most of your issues. You need a CD drive. You need a copy of Windows XP on a CD other than a restore disk. The drivers are all on this blog post:
Download Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Notebook Windows XP Drivers | Get Pc Memory

To install skype correctly on ubuntu 8.04, go to this site:
Medibuntu -- Details of release hardy

install, mini 12, windows

« battery charging | Where to buy a 6-Cell battery? »