Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old
Lightbulb Hypotheticaly Hacking a Sata drive into the mini 12 - 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM

I've been looking around into squeezing a 2.5" sata drive into my mini 12.
As we've all seen here, there is plenty of space for heavy modding.

So, here's the plan:
Get a expresscard to esata adapter, strip it to its bare essentials (no connectors, etc)
Wireup the expresscard to the minipcie slot
Get a sata data and power cable
Wire up the data cable to the sata port
Wire up the power cable to the two usb ports on the left (2.5" sata drives only use 5v and ground, no need for 3.3v or 12v)

I won't be able to execute this plan till I'm back in the USA around august, but till then, anyone have any comments/interest/ideas?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Why not just use a sata to usb adapter and solder that in?

Mini 9 / 32GB Runcore / 2 GB HyperX / Bluetooth / Internal SDHC / Win 7 Premium / Ubuntu 9.04
Mini 10v / 16GB SSD / 2 GB / 1024x600 / Intel 5300 / Bluetooth / Webcam / Win 7 Premium
Latitude E6500 / Intel T9800 / 4GB HyperX / Nvidia NVS 160M / LG WUXGA / Intel 5300 / 410 BT w/UWB / Webcam / Fingerprint Reader / Backlit keyboard / 9 cell / XP Pro/Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 04:25 AM

Well, I've got a usb-sata adapter and had considered that, but when I used h2benchw to measure it's performance, it was even slower than the built-in hardrive. I think it's cause of the intermediate USB step, so I'm hoping that, with a more direct pcie-to-sata connection, it'll run faster enough to make the effort worth it. I'm planing on benchmarking the adapter with a laptop that has a pciexpresscard slot first though (don't want to do all that soldering if there is'nt going to be a reasonable benefit from it).

« Reboot Crashes with Ubuntu 12 | XP Pro »